German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has given oregano oil to their dogs? I take it and swear by it, and I know it will kill many parasites including giardia (very frustratingly common around here!).

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Just curious if anyone has given oregano oil to their dogs? I take it and swear by it, and I know it will kill many parasites including giardia (very frustratingly common around here!).
Oil Of Oregano (Organum vulgare) is wonderful for a great number of things (internally or externally/topically) such as arthritis, asthma, burns, canine flu, cuts, diarrhea, digestion problems, fevers, infections, inflammation, itching, sinus congestion, sore muscles, vomiting, wounds, yeast infections, and it is anti-fungal, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and an antiseptic but I don’t know that it would be advisable to use on an everyday basis indefinitely unless there is a specific problem/illness.

Note that there are different grades (medical/therapeutic).

;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like it does good stuff. I'm a bit leery though because it is somewhat hard on my stomach, so I wonder if it could be hard on his?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I love oil of oregano.

I know a few people on my k9 kidney group give it to their dogs. I found this in the files:

Wild Oil of Oregano has become a popular treatment for candidiasis at human doses of 1 drop once or twice per day, building up to a dose of 1 drop 4 times per day, which is considered safe for long-term use.

Dogs dislike the taste and smell of oregano oil. For canine treatment, dilute full-strength oregano oil with coconut oil, then place a drop of the diluted oil in an empty 2-part gelatin capsule, which can be hidden in food. For dogs weighing 50-70 pounds, dilute ½ teaspoon oregano essential oil with ½ teaspoon coconut oil; for dogs weighing 25-35 pounds, use 1 teaspoon coconut oil; and for smaller dogs, use 1½ to 2 teaspoons coconut oil. Start with 1 drop of the diluted oil per day and gradually build up to 1 drop 4 times per day.

CANDIDA IN DOGS - Chinaroad Lowchens of Australia

I know the brand I buy is already diluted in olive oil. The directions above look like it may be for the undiluted.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love oil of oregano.

I know a few people on my k9 kidney group give it to their dogs. I found this in the files:

Wild Oil of Oregano has become a popular treatment for candidiasis at human doses of 1 drop once or twice per day, building up to a dose of 1 drop 4 times per day, which is considered safe for long-term use.

Dogs dislike the taste and smell of oregano oil. For canine treatment, dilute full-strength oregano oil with coconut oil, then place a drop of the diluted oil in an empty 2-part gelatin capsule, which can be hidden in food. For dogs weighing 50-70 pounds, dilute ½ teaspoon oregano essential oil with ½ teaspoon coconut oil; for dogs weighing 25-35 pounds, use 1 teaspoon coconut oil; and for smaller dogs, use 1½ to 2 teaspoons coconut oil. Start with 1 drop of the diluted oil per day and gradually build up to 1 drop 4 times per day.

CANDIDA IN DOGS - Chinaroad Lowchens of Australia

I know the brand I buy is already diluted in olive oil. The directions above look like it may be for the undiluted.

Oh good info! I wasn't sure how much to give him. I will start with a drop a day and see how it goes. For some reason I always thought it was poisonous to dogs...maybe because YES it does burn. The first time I tried it I thought it was just like a spice and put it in my soup. Biiiiiig mistake. :sick:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I did see where if a dog has an active infection it's one drop per thirteen pounds. To maintain, it's one per twenty-six. This is for the P73.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I take Oregaresp every day for my sinuses/allergies. I have given it to my dogs but not longterm, just to treat specific conditions. I do not use the drops, I use the capsules.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts