German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone catch Oprah today, she is doing udates, including her puppymill show. They had some shelter's with video thank you's to Oprah, they had a huge response, tons of adoptions, and apointments to spay and neuter. Also had a clip about a place called Angel's Gate in Long Island(?) doing an amazing job with special needs pets.
She also said that her puppymill show had the highest response of any show of hers in the past two years. By response I think she meant on her feedback pages, I know I took a look just a couple of days after the show and there was something like 200 pages of responses to that show!
Way to go Oprah!! Anyone here know of any examples of this show making a difference?

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
I am really happy about this, it takes someone like Oprah to get this horrible abuse out in the open. When I heard she did a story on puppymills, I said to my husband maybe people will listen to her! Yes!!! They did. Here is a picture of my puppymill puppy. She is now 9 months old and a little devil

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The only reservation I have is: Is this a novelty because of Oprah?

Did these people really think about all the responsibilities in owning a dog before rushing out that weekend to adopt a dog? Did the shelters do enough screening of these Oprah fans? How many people saw this and rushed out to "save" a puppy from a pet store?

It's great that people are adopting from shelters/rescue groups, but it isn't a matter of "Any home rather than no home." It's got to be a GOOD home with a GOOD match between owner and dog. If it isn't someone, dog or person, is going to end up miserable, and the pup may end up homeless again.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
More important (to me) than all the dogs adopted (though that was nice) was the huge increase at one of the shelters for spay/neuter surgeries. Now THAT is truly good news. No puppies born mean no puppies/dogs put down!!!! Zero.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts