German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you go off at me, I have gone into Yellowstone dead of winter to see the wolves in action, by Artic snowcat and snowmobile for ten days. I have spent a year studying a little, that was my second trip in the past year, in this January to get close. These Australian Working Dogs, the two lines I have that I want to breed, are big like over 100 lbs. This pup comes from a 48 kg Police Dog mother, and a 53 kg high end PPD Dog Sire.

Why have such massive black WDGSDs? Size matters for intimidation, both human and dingo and wild dogs that can come in for calves. A big puffed up monster Shepherd bounding down the slope barking, for instance in ten years my 10 y.o. Alpha Male has never been challenged they turn and run... :wild: Same with a few people that were off the track and thought they could walk into my Horsefloat big rig, when he hit the end of his chain about half up the ramp they backed off.... ;) Gentle as a lamb, raised children, but on a chain and on duty fearsome.

Now the what and why over for the critics... :hug: Just kidding, no offense.. This little Bitch is extremely aggressive against my 65-70 lb 5 month old Black Shepherd. I mean they play, but She goes absolutely BANANAS with aggressive behavior. She even does the throat choke hold, now Caesar is protected by a fat leather collar, but She bites in and stays tight on top of him on the ground. (I make him (Caesar) lie down to play with Shaka) She gets on top with the Wolf kill hold, and hangs in there only to give a serious total body twist convulsive shake as if She could rip his throat out. The whole time She is growling and snarling and barking. It looks really serious... ( 9 weeks, ten on Saturday, about 8-9 kg)... He actually has to get a leg over her to break her death grip... Snarling, snapping, at one exposed body part or another, She feints a fake lunge and then gets around him to another part. Never even seen such aggressive of a puppy.. :confused:

Questions:
1) Is this just Working Dog play, that I have not noticed with my two Show dogs now 7-8 and 10 y.o. ???? Bigger boned, more Working Dog sort of temperament that I have not experienced? Only my fourth Shepherd, but like with my Company I do a bit of study and have not seen this in my four or litters I have visited.. Extremely aggressive, even taunting him with one of his own toys, and then attacking him with he takes the bait.. Very aggressive play.:wild:

2) OR: Is it just a puppy stage and right now She is INVINCIBLE and this will pass when She realizes that She is NOT...??? About 9 1/2 weeks now.. 8-9 kg..

3) OR: Is this the kind of behaviour (aussie spelling) what the PPD, Police, and such are looking for and I need to consider training variables for what could be an aggressive little Bitch... ? :hug::rolleyes:

It is just weird that She goes for a Lion Kill every time, not seen that.. I mean look at this little innocent face, you would never think it.. (Ears only up as She looks up, but they will probably stand early by 12-14 weeks, VERY strong)...

Thank you for your time and answers, this is the most aggressive puppy I have had, and I am just concerned I may have to tone her down if She does not grow out of it soon... She just gives it all Heck She has got...

Thank you from Australia... lone Ranger

·
Registered
542 Posts
Normal. She might have more drive than your male and your older shepherds.
Young pups usually get a puppy license from older pups and dogs until they are about 3 months before they are put in their place. Let us know in another month or so.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
It looks really serious... ( 9 weeks, ten on Saturday, about 8-9 kg)... He actually has to get a leg over her to break her death grip... Snarling, snapping, at one exposed body part or another,
This is a critical stage for hip and elbow development - keep your baby puppies away from larger dogs that can unintentionally injure your puppy. She is young enough to have a puppy license (for now...and by the way, your male is a baby puppy as well and should not be subjected to this type of "play") - all it takes is one paw smash from the older male ("He actually has to get a leg over her to break her death grip... ") to give her a nice elbow injury. I only allow baby puppies around older dogs (usually an older female that I trust 100%) that will give the puppy positive experiences and interactions with adults. I don't allow puppies to molest or torture my other dogs while they are in down/stays...

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Play is only beneficial when both dogs are having fun, being in a down stay while a little landshark is literally knawing on your throat is not fun. All it would take would be one moment where he gets fed up and your puppy is in trouble. You're putting your older dog in a submissive position and your puppy in the dominant position, not a good thing.

I would wait for a few weeks before allowing them to play together, even then keep it monitered and any rough play is quickly shut down.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your answers...

I had Caesar lay down to minimize any potential for injury... They really do want to interact together.. I mean both of them... I am alarmed by your thoughts that there could be injury, and take the point.. Maybe I will have to just let the puppy play with me...

I am also alarmed by the thought that in making Caesar lay down, I could be developing some kind of future problems with the Pack Order by the female taking a dominant position. I thought it would naturally wear off as the female got larger...

I may have to keep them apart. It was such a good source of exercise, and I thought it a good developmental stage. But you have alarmed me on the potential problems, so I may just have to keep them separate.. Too bad.. They really have a good time together.

Kind regards, and Thank You for the answers, you have given me pause to reflect and regrets on the potential for injury, so I will not let them play any more. I cannot take the chance...

lone Ranger in Australia

1 - 6 of 6 Posts