German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
I think the right hip looks good. It fits neatly, has lots of coverage. I think the left hip might not pass ofa. I don't think it is terrible, but I think it has a lot more play, less coverage, I think I am seeing some build up on the head, and I think that it is overall narrower than the other side.

But I am not an expert.

·
Premium Member
11,251 Posts
the position on the legs in the x-rays is horrible....if you are looking to send into OFA - make them take new ones....

the femoral heads are nice sized, but the legs need to be rotated out so that they are straight to get a correct evaluation of the coverage...it might be better with proper positioning

Lee

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this dog is a rescue I just got, 9 months old, otherwise good health, blood tests and fecal tests came back clean, etc etc. I don't care about OFA, I just want to know if a few years down the line I am going to need to think about surgery, etc. And yes, I know anything could happen, my GSDx rescue dog just passed from cancer a month ago, and I am being a bit of a helicopter owner right now. The vet said from these x-rays he has moderate HD in his left, but after looking at some x-rays on here, I didn't think it looked that bad? Yes, I am new to worrying about hips LOL

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Positioning is bad, but there is no "moderate HD". Mild at the worst. The hips are fine from the standpoint of leading a long life with no problems.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
They look fine to me. Poor positioning could cause the one hip to look shallow.... so maybe "mild" on these xrays?
I would think proper positioning would only make things look better.... I could see a "good."

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input, it's good to know that my first instincts at looking at them were right. I will go ahead and keep him on the supplements, as he is still growing, he is large and they can't hurt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts