German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

as many have told me this is a sable gsd , i want to correct that and ask if shes a belgian tervuren .
then she is 7 months and i think close to have her first heat , should i think about it now or later , and i want to breed her for motherhood reasons.
a question about babies , does she take care of everything about them or do i have to help in anything , coz i read that if i have the mother i dont have to do a thing , ???

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
it's a myth that you have to breed a dog for "motherhood reasons"..

She doesn't looke like a purebred gsd nor a purebred terv either. Maybe a mix of both?

Right now, at this age, she is WAY to young to even think about 'breeding' her. I highly suggest you read thru some of the posts on this board about breeding and breeding nightmares..

Some dogs can actually die giving birth, some do it on their own, others need help, you won't know until it actually happens..Are you willing to risk losing your dog during whelping if you bred her?

Again, I suggest you read some of the breeding topics on this board, and read some of the heartbreaking stories of breedings gone wrong.

She's very cute by the way, but again looks like a mix to me:)

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I don't think she is a German Shepherd or a Tervuren. I think she is a mixed breed dog. Please don't breed her.

That idea that "if I have the mother I don't have to do a thing" is a lie. Go read some of Selzer's posts about having to help her dogs deliver the puppies, having puppies die, having mother dogs nearly die, spending thousands of dollars at the vet trying to save their lives when they have problems with birthing. Or she could just kill and eat them the way my mother in law's dog did with her puppies.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Maybe there is a problem with translation here, but "motherhood reasons?" What does that mean, exactly? :nono:

:popcorn:
I'm curious about this too what do you mean Motherhood reasons? I'm not familiar with that term.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts

as many have told me this is a sable gsd , i want to correct that and ask if shes a belgian tervuren .
then she is 7 months and i think close to have her first heat , should i think about it now or later , and i want to breed her for motherhood reasons.
a question about babies , does she take care of everything about them or do i have to help in anything , coz i read that if i have the mother i dont have to do a thing , ???
:spittingcoffee: Ah hah hah hah hah, ha ha hah hah :rofl: OMG, ha hah ha

I am sorry, but :rofl:

that is about the funniest thing I have ever read.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/thinking-about-becoming-breeder/171149-whelping-experience.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/165327-whelping-question-58-days-post-conception-2.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/thinking-about-becoming-breeder/149422-so-you-want-breeder.html

ETA: Please do not just get mad, but read some of these real whelping experiences.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
This person lives in Jordan/Middle east, remember, so please keep that in mind when responding. The US has a huge pet overpopulation problem, maybe Jordan does not.
That said, she is a mixed breed and unless you know 6-8 people who want puppies, you shouldn't breed her.
Even if you do - please wait until she's older, 2yrs. of age is best. And even then, you can run into a lot of complications including the death of your beloved pet.
If you have veterinarians (animal doctors) who spay/de-sex/neuter there, you would be doing her a huge favor by just spaying her now.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Umm okay?!?! Sorry to be blunt but, just from reading that it sounds like you have no business breeding because you obviously don't know anything about it. Do the dog a favor and spay her.

·
Registered
539 Posts
In the middle east breeding is the norm. most PB dogs end up in homes, no one throws away their pb dog. the problem is with mixed breeds. Like for example someone like our friend here from Jordan, since we told him she is mixed, he would either look for someone to buy her or maybe throw her on the street. Not saying he would, but a typical middle eastern mind would. it's a shame.
People all over the middle east are trying to raise awareness about the importance of spaying and neutering. problem is most Muslims think its a sin to change God's creation. We have to keep reminding them that Gods also ordered to be merciful to animals and if an animal has a high probability to end up on the street that's not merciful at all. Some listen some don't, at least in Egypt it's getting much much better. most people would neuter their mixed cats and dogs but not their pb, because there is a market for PBs and rarely do you get a purebred dog at the shelter. The only times we do is when ppl can't afford vet bills due to accidents or unfortunately, Europeans moving back to their countries and abandoning their dogs.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
@MSvette2u....I really appreciate the intelligent comment you made about diferences in cultures and norms.....many people think the way things should be done revolve around them. I too think that the OP should find a vet or breeder of GS in his/her country and talk to them.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
This person lives in Jordan/Middle east, remember, so please keep that in mind when responding.
But the OP didn't ask a question about cultural norms, whether there was a market for puppies, requirements for breeding, etc. He asked a question about biology. Puppies get stuck, moms get into serious trouble, puppies die, moms die in the Middle East as well as in the U.S. The idea that if you have the mother you're guaranteed to not have to do anything isn't true just because the person is in another country.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Then send them to a vet or breeder for biological answers instead of answers that may or may not have revelance considering the resources where the person resides. Its really very simple....would stop a lot of non relevant or misinformed information being passed from people who may or May not be really knowledgable.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
The last post isn't directed at anyone, but rather is trying to get people to help people find reliable help where they reside. We usually don't have enough info to give opinions as close to the situation as a person in the area they reside.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
The last post isn't directed at anyone, but rather is trying to get people to help people find reliable help where they reside. We usually don't have enough info to give opinions as close to the situation as a person in the area they reside.
If we just answer his questions about what the dog looks like, and whether he needs to do anything with regards to whelping and raising the litter, we do not need to worry about where he is from. And, the only reason one needs information from their general location would be the supply/demand for dogs in his area, which he knows better than the majority of the people on here as we don't have many members from Jordan.

It is possible that your bitch will whelp naturally without any assistance from you, and in the first three weeks, there is little you need to do save feed the bitch good food and change the bedding daily and as the litter gets messier, more frequently.

But it is the height if irresponsibility to expect everything to be hunky dory and not have some plan in place if the bitch needs a c-section, and some knowledge on what to do and what not to do in the event that a puppy is stuck, or the bitch does not produce a puppy, how to get puppies going, what materials to have on hand, what climate you should have the area at, cutting and tying the umbilical cord if necessary, and instructions on how to care for orphan pups, how to know that your bitch and pups are doing well, etc.

Get a good book, read it through -- the sections on whelping, stock the things you will need and might need, and keep the book to refer to in the process.

I think your pup is cute as a bug, I agree with not breeding her as her heritage is unknown, but if you do, she should be a minimum of 18 months old before breeding and preferably two years old. If she is not too young, or too old, in excellent physical shape, then your chances of having the least number of problems go up.

Hopefully there is a vet near enough by that you can go to if you run into serious problems.

This book is one that I had on hand and is pretty good:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Breeding-Litter-Complete-Postnatal-reference/dp/0876054149[/ame]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
before jumping into conclusions , i want to breed her and keep all the babies , and for some of you who think i dont take good care , well i walk her twice a day , feed her taste of the wild , change her water 3 times of the day , provide her with daily training .
and for other the " middle eastern mind " is something i dont have , as am more open to foreign cultures even rgarding to animals , as i live in a neighbourhood where its 90% foreigners .
and i have read all about the whelping stuff and so on .. but i just wanted to expand my knoweldge about some prefernces that ive read on the net , and fyi i work with a vet for almst 6 months now , its not a shame to ask - what i thought - experienced people .

and i dont care if shes a mix , but shes my mix and i take good care of her , i didnt ask for a lecture but rather just a simple answer .

thx for anyone who answered me :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and oo regarding nitemares comment about selling her or ditching her , i would rather kill myself than getting her away of me .
you guys are so ignorant , you think if my dog isnt pure bred i will just throw it away , because am middle eastern minded :/
i bet you to find anyone who love his dog more than i do , if a day passes and shes not beside i will litterally be depressed and wont know what to do , so please dont judge a book by its cover.

well yh why not , i might give 3 or 4 for adoption for people i know as to keep seeing them , but as long as the mother is with me i want her to see her babies on almost daily .

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
i bet you to find anyone who love his dog more than i do , if a day passes and shes not beside i will litterally be depressed and wont know what to do , so please dont judge a book by its cover.
If you love your dog that much, you might want to reconsider breeding her. Females can and do die giving birth. I have nothing but respect for good breeders, but everyone who breeds does have to come to terms with the fact that their dog can die having her puppies.

·
Registered
238 Posts
and oo regarding nitemares comment about selling her or ditching her , i would rather kill myself than getting her away of me .
you guys are so ignorant , you think if my dog isnt pure bred i will just throw it away , because am middle eastern minded :/

well yh why not , i might give 3 or 4 for adoption for people i know as to keep seeing them , but as long as the mother is with me i want her to see her babies on almost daily .
No offense intended, but I thought you had several dogs? I remember one you bought, another you found on a farm (or your farm?), and another seemed to be a white GSD mix. On top of the those three puppies, I thought you had a few other dogs (from past posts you made). What happened to them?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts