German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've had our new puppy, Felix, for about 3 weeks, and so far he's been a joy. He seems to learn really quickly, is crate trained, and is doing very well with sit/down/stay, heel, come, off, and drop. My wife and I have 2 kids, 9 and almost 5, and he's responding to their commands for the basic obedience stuff with and (sometimes) without treats. I've been walking him on a harness and he seems to naturally fall into the heel position on my left side, and doesn't lunge after squirrels or get distracted by loud garbage trucks or traffic noises. He's been to my daughter's elementary school 3 times and has behaved beautifully, licking the hands of the kids who ask to pet him, and in general has been acting like a remarkably well behaved pup. He fetches and retrieves frisbees and tennis balls, and has been going potty outside pretty much on demand.

Does anyone care to share their opinion about his pedigree? Should I expect his good behavior and fast learning to continue, or are we in some kind of honeymoon phase here? He just turned 4 months old, DOB 10-16-19.

·
Registered
31,132 Posts
What did the breeder expect from that litter? Some nice dogs in there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I know, the breeder breeds dogs for family protection and companionship, and has a passion for “old world” GSDs. He’s located within a couple hours drive for me, which is how I originally found out about his puppies.

·
Registered
31,132 Posts
As far as I know, the breeder breeds dogs for family protection and companionship, and has a passion for “old world” GSDs. He’s located within a couple hours drive for me, which is how I originally found out about his puppies.

Ok. That's a general description of his breeding program. But WHAT traits was he expecting from this particular litter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly, I can’t speak for the breeder and don’t know what traits he might’ve been specifically breeding for, besides what I said above. He picked our pup out of his litter because of his calm temperament and because the breeder thought he’d be good with our kids.
Does his pedigree give you any indication of what traits the dog might have, besides what the breeder may or may not have had in mind?

·
Registered
31,132 Posts
No. Pet puppies come from the same litter as working dogs. I like the progeny I've seen from the P Del Lupo Nero dogs. I just see a lot of Czech in there which, as a general statement, tends to throw higher suspicion and active aggression. So I would hope the breeder has an idea of what the parents are producing for temperaments.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
No. Pet puppies come from the same litter as working dogs. I like the progeny I've seen from the P Del Lupo Nero dogs. I just see a lot of Czech in there which, as a general statement, tends to throw higher suspicion and active aggression. So I would hope the breeder has an idea of what the parents are producing for temperaments.
My dog is Czech and not highly aggressive.

·
Registered
31,132 Posts
I don't know what she meant by highly aggressive. Active aggression is just a dog that will bring a fight on his own rather than one that reacts to the fight and works thru defense. I have one of each right now. My girl has active aggression and is a ton of fun to work in protection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know what she meant by highly aggressive. Active aggression is just a dog that will bring a fight on his own rather than one that reacts to the fight and works thru defense. I have one of each right now. My girl has active aggression and is a ton of fun to work in protection.
Thanks for the info Jax. I’m here to learn and you seem to know a thing or two about a thing or two.

·
Registered
31,132 Posts
Thanks for the info Jax. I’m here to learn and you seem to know a thing or two about a thing or two.
That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge. My boy works in defense. My girl is active with a civil side. It's been a steep learning curve! lol

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Are there any qualities you attribute to being a Vito progeny?
I’m not sure because my dog has other strong dogs in his pedigree. He came from Czech border patrol lines on the sire’s side, but his mother brought other types of lines into the mix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honestly, I can’t speak for the breeder and don’t know what traits he might’ve been specifically breeding for, besides what I said above. He picked our pup out of his litter because of his calm temperament and because the breeder thought he’d be good with our kids.
Does his pedigree give you any indication of what traits the dog might have, besides what the breeder may or may not have had in mind?
Your GSD is going to be a baby until he is at least 3 years old. Nipping is a common issue and a good trainer (who comes to your home) can work with you. Ideally your pup should have only one alpha, and that person is the only one who should give all commands.
It is very easy to over stimulate a pup and since he is just starting to learn what is expected, you might want to supervise the interaction with little kids.
My final suggestion is to consider using commands in a foreign language. Many trainers now use French because so many people have heard the German commands, and everyone likes to "help" your dog and it is very confusing to a puppy to hear several people chime in at the same time asking them to do something. Be sure to limit your training work because your pup does not have a long attention span yet. Play play play and then train just a bit. Your pup will need training his whole life because he will out grow the baby school. We don't expect kids to go to kindergarten and then never go to school again. Finally, you may notice people tend to talk louder and louder if the dog doesn't immediately understand. They are not deaf and sometimes speaking very softly works wonders.
Good luck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts