German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All ~

I need some opinions on this x-ray. This is our 6 months old female GSD puppy. She was playing tug and yelped very loudly and then the right leg gave out on her. The vet took this x-ray. She is trying to say that the pup has bilateral HD!!! Other than this tugging episode, she has been completely normal, active and pain free. PLEASE HELP!!! They sedated her for this x-ray. What are your opinions? What do you think of her positioning for the film?

[/URL]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Unfortunately, your vet is correct. Bilateral HD. So sorry. :(
The positioning is incorrect. The legs should be straight down, not tilted outward. But that wouldn't change the diagnosis though as proper positioning would leverage the femoral heads further out of the socket, making the hips even more loose than they are in this film.

She is very young, and joints often tighten up with maturity as ligaments tighten reducing laxity in the joints. Given the current amount of laxity it is doubtful that they will tighten enough to pass certification and she'll always technically have HD, but with maturity, good exercise, good diet, keeping her lean and not letting her get fat, and adding some joint supplements she may be fine for many years to come.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
So sorry to hear about your baby. I'm so tired of reading about bad hips, it makes me sad. I wish they did not have this problem. :mad:
This site helped me alot when I found out my pup had HD.
Leerburg | The Importance of Good Positioning on Canine Hip X-rays
But like others have said there is some hope that they can live a full happy life with HD.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I'm so sorry for your sad news.. Does anyone know of an example of a normal hip X-ray to compare this one to? Im just learning.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Here is some threads posted showing good hips - notice the nice contact between the ball and the socket.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/show-those-hips/313465-three-litter-mates-our-program.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/show-those-hips/307553-s-hunter-vom-geistwasser-ofa-hips-excellent-elbows-normal.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/show-those-hips/252649-blizzak-ofa-good.html

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I'm so sorry for your sad news.. Does anyone know of an example of a normal hip X-ray to compare this one to? Im just learning.

I am sorry about the hips. They do not look good, but they aren't the worst I have seen. Surgery might be an option, but with regular exercise, good diet, supplements, keeping her lean, she may never need a surgery.

Juno's mom,

These were Tori's hips, they came back OFA Good. They show the ball of the femur well into the socket.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Make sure you contact your breeder so they can use this information in relation to making decisions of future breeding. Also, get out the Puppy Warranty that responsible breeders have you sign when you purchase their puppy and see how the agreement covers you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am sorry...the only thing I really know about HD is what I learned from my first GSD when I was a teenager. She was a HUGE girl, full grown and a lean 100 pounds, and the discussion of HD was not as prevalent at the time. She was probably 6 or 7 before we really realized that something was wrong, and the winters were harder for her-just like a person with arthritis-and the summers were better. We loved her immensely, and she healed my broken heart many times. She was almost 10 when we felt she was suffering too much....and that was still a good life with so many memories, and the start of my love of the breed.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts