German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Mayley's training instructor gave us notes, homework and whatnot for the weekend and on the last page is a treat recipe. I wanted to share it and asks opinions on the ingredients. here goes:

1 lb liver (frozen or fresh)
3 cups wheat flour
1 cup molasses
2/3 cups corn meal
1/2 cup wheat germ
3 eggs
Liquify (sp??) liver in food processor with eggs. add remaining ingredients. pour into 9x13 loaf pan sprayed w pam and bake 25 mins at 350.

Even though the trainer has been an intstructor for 30 years, i wanted opinions from people who really know the breed in depth. All opinions very much welcomed. thanks guys and gals!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I've made a similar recipe, but it doesn't use corn meal, I think it just had liver, flour, eggs and maybe garlic?
I'm not crazy about corn (or any grains really) in a dog's diet but in small quantities for training it shouldn't hurt.

Just be prepared...your house will STINK when you bake liver treats! :sick:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
OMG my dogs LOVE liver brownies! I have a simalar recipe but I also dont use corn meal or molasses. Just flour, potato flakes, egg, liver & garlic. And yes the house will stink when you bake it. Well worth it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha thanks thats good to know about the stinky-ness. I also don't give marley grains in his food or treats, so i will take the corn out of it. Im thinking, i'm a chef so maybe ill bake it at work so THAT kitchen smells and not mine!! :rofl:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Here is the recipe that I used for my old dog Ralph, she absolutely adored these treats, also a great way to deliver a pill:) I used to stuff one inside the treat she never knew it!

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 eggs
1 1/2 pounds beef liver.

Mix the whole mess up in a food processor, the more liver the fliffier the treats.
Line a cookie sheet ( 10 x 15 inch) with parchment paper spread the gooey mess on it and bake for 15 - 20 minutes at 350. The treats are done when they feel spongey, cool and cut into brownie shapes store in fridge, keeps for about 4 to 5 days. ( I used a pizza wheel to cut the squares out)

As yes the house will smell but the doggies will love them!:wub:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I used a similar recipe for training, my girl loved them but I found them to be be a bit crumbly to be used with a treat bag. I agree that the smell is awful, had me wretching a bit. As you are a chef, you probably know of a better way to clean a food processor than I do, but I found that the liver goo just stuck to it like crazy no matter how long I soaked it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts