German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I too, am looking for a "food"...I've tried them all it seems, and for one reason or another haven't been happy..I have my aussies on Nutro "lite",,(they are getting tubby") and my adult gsd on nutro reg,, the puppy on nutro puppy ..

Anyhow,,I'm just not thrilled with it,,and for the price,,I think I can feed even better..

I am looking at Blue Buffalo,,any opinions on this food????

I can get it for a tad more than Nutro,,42$ for the largest bag..and it looks like a good food..

Thoughts? Opinions??
thanks
diane

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Looks OK to me.
Though you do realize that the "largest bag" is only 30lbs right?

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
Definately better than Nutro!! And you may not have to feed as much, so in the long run price averages out....

·
Registered
473 Posts
Diane,
Are you trying to feed better than Nutro for less money? What problems are you having with Nutro?

FYI, I fed CANIDAE since it first came out and my Aussie and others over the years did very well. Since my Aussie and the others are all gone and I found a 2 yr. old F, black GSD a year ago she too did well on Canidae. With the Canidae formula change and all that I have read I switched her to Diamond Naturals Chicken/Rice and she is doig great with the change. Ready for my second 40# bag for $28.00. Good solid ingredients that are working well for her. I still use Show Stopper and Prozyme daily too. I think there are still good solid foods for an affordable price.

·
Registered
478 Posts
i raised all 5 of my dogs (including my gsd) on Natural Balance Ultra Premium and they all look great!!! i also use Nzymes and Nupro Silver as supplements.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I used Blue Buff for some time when Skye was yonger. All my dogs looked great on it and did well. Nice coats, solid poops.

I wanted to go 'no grain' so I switched all mine to Evo RF later.

No complaints with BB at all, though. I consider it the best of what my local PetSmart carries.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I second Bonnie.

Blue Buffalo is the best quality food that is currently carried by Petsmart. I have had my cats on it, and they did well on it, and I've had my dog on it. She did not quite as well on it - she was having soft stools. (This was prior to going raw.)

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the input,,,yes I did see the largest bag is 30#,,so while it may be more for the buck vs nutro..I dunno,,I'm getting disgusted with nutro ..

Mike, I have fed over the years,,probably every darn food out there,,for one reason or another I've switched,,with 4 dogs and different "needs",,I can't seem to find ONE darn food to feed them all LOL..

I went with the buffalo because my aussies are little tubbers,,even tho they get loads of exercise,,they just seem to pork on weight easily,,so the BB had very low fat content (6%) for them..

I've fed Diamond products, and I like them, however, I have to travel quite a distance to get it , so in the long run, I'm not really saving any money and might as well go with the BB..

Even if I can get down to 2 differing foods , would be easier for me, than 4...The GSD's (puppy and senior),,I'll most likely just put on the adult formula..For some reason none of mine did well on canidae,,dull coats,,loose stools....

I am contemplating California Natural as well,,I have easy access to that, but not sure what their "light" / "low fat" content is...

Thanks for the input
diane

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
The California Natural Low fat are both 7%. They have a Rice and Lamb formula and a Rice and Chicken formula. The Rice and Lamb is lower in Calories than the Chix.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks tracy,,,I actually was at my vets today and they sell Cal natural,,I checked out the lite,,and your correct..

I think nice I have such easy access to it via my vet,,when I go thru this stuff,,I'll switch them all to ca nat..Lite for the tubby aussies and reg for the two gsds..
thanks again
diane

·
Registered
403 Posts
lol Diane congrats on that new puppy! Lucky dog YOU!

I'm thinking of adding California Natural in our rotation kibble next, to see how they do on it..They have been on Before Grain for about 2 months now and doing very well on it..

Good luck with the CN...

ps..Email me a pic of that pup

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Do you fee nutro or nutro natural choice? I just switched to nutro natural choice Lamb and Rice and my dogs are doing amazing. I was actually quite shocked as I have fed so many other brands like Chicken Soup For the Pet Lovers Soul (I still feed this to my cats), Natural Balance, California Natural and Nutra Nugget. I have some dietary limitations like no chicken or dairy.

For the first time in 4 years since I got my first dog I actually have tinier and extremely less smelly poops. I am shocked as I thought this was just a myth loL!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts