German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I'm not looking to get a puppy any time soon, but I am doing some casual research because I plan on owning GSDs for a long time. I haven't heard of any breeders near me in my state, and came across this one.

The pedigrees all have titles in them, but I haven't seen any titles from their dogs. I was just curious about what kind of puppies this breeder may produce I suppose.

Just out of curiosity I'd like to see what the breeder savvy people have to say.

Czech German Shepherd SAR Working German Shepherds DDR German Shepherd Stud Service

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
For those prices you can get a pup from parents who have working titles/certifications rather than just titled pedigrees and vague claims that they are being trained for something, and health clearances including real hip certifications not statements like "rated good to fair by the vet".

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For those prices you can get a pup from parents who have working titles/certifications rather than just titled pedigrees and vague claims that they are being trained for something, and health clearances including real hip certifications not statements like "rated good to fair by the vet".
I did not even see that about the vet. Lol. That's why I wanted someone else to look over the site.

What I don't get is how from the same litter they say you can get a puppy with a hip/elbow check or pay less and not get one? Don't those checks have everything to do with the parents?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I think it's crap that you have to pay extra for a hip guarantee....I agree with Wild.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I see we posted at the same time lol. I would keep looking :) I'm on the west coast, but I am sure there are some on here that can offer advice. What exactly are you looking for in the dog?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure yet, because I'm a while away from a puppy. I was just doing some research on different lines to get a feel for each one. BUT when I do get a puppy in a few years I know I would want a working dog and one with very solid nerve. I'd love to get into a sport and Sch looks like it would be super fun..or even flyball. I don't think I would ever compete, but who knows where i'd be in my life by then.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
What I don't get is how from the same litter they say you can get a puppy with a hip/elbow check or pay less and not get one? Don't those checks have everything to do with the parents?

Actually that part of the pricing structure I understand. In North America it is sort of expected for breeders to offer health warranties. The breeder can't guarantee that there won't be a problem as genetics don't work that way, but they can provide some form of compensation if a problem does arise. In Europe and most of the rest of the world, warranties are not the norm. Instead it is understood that there is no guarantee when buying a living creature, breeder does their best to stack the odds in favor of a good outcome, buyer does their research to ensure that they are comfortable with the level of risk, and then everyone waits to see what happens. Puppy prices here tend to be higher than those in Europe, and much of that increased cost is due to the expected warranty. In essence, people are paying more for a warranty much of the time.

So for a breeder to offer pups at a lower price without it, and higher price with it, doesn't strike me as particularly odd or in any way unethical. There are several very reputable breeders who do it that way. If people want a warranty, they pay more for it. Though I'd expect to see more of a difference in price than is shown here, and would expect the pups without the warranty to be significantly less.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I'm not sure yet, because I'm a while away from a puppy. I was just doing some research on different lines to get a feel for each one. BUT when I do get a puppy in a few years I know I would want a working dog and one with very solid nerve. I'd love to get into a sport and Sch looks like it would be super fun..or even flyball. I don't think I would ever compete, but who knows where i'd be in my life by then.
I hear ya, we are several years out from our second GSD, but I am already keeping a tally of all the things I want in our next one, solid nerve, good grip, biddable, BALANCED drive, high prey drive, ability to switch smoothly from prey to defense, and stable stable stable. lol

I do sch now, it's awesome, very addicting, and can be consuming (in a good way). :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahh, I see. Thank you! Is there anywhere I can go for research on the different lines and what they typically produce?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hear ya, we are several years out from our second GSD, but I am already keeping a tally of all the things I want in our next one, solid nerve, good grip, biddable, BALANCED drive, high prey drive, ability to switch smoothly from prey to defense, and stable stable stable. lol

I do sch now, it's awesome, very addicting, and can be consuming (in a good way). :)
Gus is very reactive and some days it's hard to manage. Especially since the weather is very nice and theres no dog at large law here, so even a simple walk can be tough. But I love him with all my heart. I just know i want a dog that can handle almost anything.

I'm still doing research on sports though. I have a problem with research..I do way too much of it. lol.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
lol, I want to know what a "captivating" personality is on a dog?

Definitely a pass.

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
I had to laugh when I read that certain pups are priced higher because they caught the breeders eye and were "exceptional"....

I would hope that OFA's are submitted on the dogs who the local vet judged, the first one was not 2 yet by birthdate....but...hey - who knows! Typical of someone with a money making selling pet mentality - start off with some imports and keep back females and do nothing and sell pets off the credentials of the 3rd and 4th generation....

As Chris said - since health/hip warranties are expected here, it is discounting the price to sell with none...not asking more for pups with them...just a way of marketing...

Personally, I would not send anyone here looking for "just a pet"

Lee

1 - 15 of 15 Posts