German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I've looked for a little while at breeders, and now Im considering two.

The first is Sequoyah. They're a little farther than I would like, but their dogs look great. I've seen only good things while I lurked in the forums here. Of course, any additional input about them would be amazing.

For my second choice, I've managed to get in contact with Coldwater Farm in NC. They seem like great people, and I'll be making a visit fairly soon. I want to see what experience anyone has had with them and their dogs.

I'm open to other possible breeders within NC.

Just some information: I'm looking for a working line dog. He will be an active companion, and I'd love to try schutzhund. Good health and good temperament are, of course, very important.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Lochness!

I don't know the other breeder, so I can't comment, but I got my first working dog from Sequoyah and I could not be happier with her or them. She was from the Connie vh Polbeekkwartier x Drago vom Patriot B litter, I brought her home in July of last year, and would not change a thing about her. They have been with me every step of the way. Even before Baer was born (I had a deposit down for a year), they were there to offer help with my senior dog and some of his fear issues. I cannot say enough good things about Tom, Kathy, Shari, and Sherle, and I promise, it is very much like a family atmosphere. They will do everything they can (provided you do your part) to make sure you are happy and the dog is happy and healthy.

My advice to you would be to be 100% honest with them (and yourself) about what you want to do with the dog. Most of their breedings will thrive as active companions and club sport dogs, but listen to them if they steer you toward one breeding over another.

Attaching a few pictures of my girl. :) Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! She looks beautiful.

I actually managed to get in touch with both of them over the weekend. I'll be visiting Coldwater next week, and hopefully Sequoyah in the next month. I'm leaning more towards Sequoyah at this point, but I'm still curious about Coldwater experiences.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When we were searching for a breeder, I wanted a puppy from Sequoyah so bad! She has awesome dogs and if memory serves me correct she is a licensed veterinarian? However, it is our first GSD and I knew I could not handle a working line, yet. We found Baron from a breeder in our state and I couldn't be happier! One day I will get a working line and it will be from Sequoyah! :grin2:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've looked into Sequoyah before and they are a breeder with a good reputation. The owner is a licensed vet iirc which is nice to see. They do a lot of ddr/czech/wg outcrosses which is a good thing health wise. It also means the pups will vary more within each litter, but that is okay as long as they are good at matching with the buyer. I see a lot of ddr breeders who linebreed heavily to maintain the type, and I'm not really a big fan of that.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Sequoyah. Good and correct people. Hands on work their dogs in various venues. Supportive, constantly trying to learn and improve.

Excellent at doing the right thing, as well as stepping up and helping out dogs in need (even not from their breedings).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts