German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard mixed reviews about the check chain (not the choke chain - a check chain put around the wrong side). Does anyone have opinions/reviews/rants about this training device?

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Check chain, choke chain, choke collar, check collar, chain collar, and slip collar are all essentially terms for the same thing: a collar, made either from chain or rope, that has a ring on either end.

The chain collar can be used in one of two ways: with the leash clipped on to both rings, so it does not tighten. This can be a good alternative to other collars, especially if you have a very strong dog. And with the leash clipped to only one ring so that it tightens when there's pressure on the leash.

If used in the second way, there are two ways of putting a chain collar on: the right way and the wrong way. When put on the right way, the part of the chain attached to the leash comes over the top of the dog's neck. When put on the wrong way, it comes up from under the dog's chin. When it is worn the wrong way, the collar tends to not release when the leash is slackened after giving a correction. However, even when put on the right way, this type of collar can choke and potentially injure a dog - it will tighten and stay tight as long as there's pressure on the leash.

Using a chain collar requires you to really know what you're doing and how to use it effectively. This type of collar should sit high up on the dog's neck and should always be loose unless you're actually issuing a correction. If you switch sides with the dog, you should turn the collar so it functions correctly on the other side.

In my experience, a prong collar is a much better training tool than a choke. Of course, the general idea should be to use such a device until your dog has enough training to use just a flat collar on your normal walks and such.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
What would be the purpose of putting a slip/choke collar on backwards?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The check chain is not supposed to be put on backwards, but I have seen too many owners bring in their pets with collapsed lungs due to a lack of knowledge and putting the check chain on the wrong way. The way the check chain is supposed to be used - NOT on a puller, for one thing. The 'check' is more the sound of the lead checking the dog than the actual restraint.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: HistorianLies - is that re: my post or re: the original poster?
The original. It sounded like he/she was saying a "check" chain is a choke collar put on backwards.

Choke collars can be dangerous even when put on correctly. I don't see why someone would ever want to use one improperly. When put on backwards, they never "release". On a dog with a longer or thicker coat, that often means constant choking pressure even if the dog is not pulling.

·
Registered
478 Posts
i have recently finished a 6 week course with my storm. he is my 10 month old gsd. the trainer is a retired canine cop and has 40 some odd years experience. he did train me with the choke chain, but checks before every class to make sure it is put on properly. the correction is known as a "check" in this training and if put on backwards there can be no "check" or correction given as it will not perform the way it is made to perform. there is another brand of choke chain called a hans sprenger or something like that. the links are more squared off then circular giving a more smoother check and allows for the longer haired dogs having their hair not to get tangled in the chain. i must admit that this training did wonders for my gsd who used to literally be a bucking broncho on our walks. he walks at a heel now, although we do sometimes have issues with him wanting to be ahead of me. i guess that's the herding instinct in him. i think putting a choke chain on any animal is cruel and unnecessary punishment.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Quote:there is another brand of choke chain called a hans sprenger or something like that
The choke you're talking about is the Fursaver. It has elongated links to prevent the dog's hair from getting tangled in the links and getting matted down on the dog's neck as well. It is, however, not as good as issuing a correction as a regular choke chain, and sometimes the links can "stick" due to their shape.

They're made by Herm Sprenger, which is a German (I think) company that also makes prong collars.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*hits self on head* Yup...that's what I meant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts