German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I just purchased a purebred German Shepherd. She is going to be 10 weeks old. And she will weight about 65 pounds when mature.

I am getting so many conflicted opinions on what to feed her. I want to go high quality. But I also want one that's going to be good for her joints and hips!

Was hoping I could get peoples input on what is best for this breed. As far as what the calcium and phosphorus ratio should be? Protein and fat levels?

Any help would be great!! Thanks :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
my vet said to feed regular adult food with at most 24% protein. Large breed dogs should grow slow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The breeder is feeding Iams, but I don't want to continue feeding that. She also said start on adult food around 6mons. I know what my vet would recommend. Royal canine, which I don't want to feed either. And vet said keep the pup on puppy food until 1 year! Also get mixed reviews on feeding large breed....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
387 Posts
I am using the Fromm Large Breed Puppy and I really like it. The pup loves the stuff and my Vet seems to love the stuff. We had a few loose evening stools with it but it was because I was overfeeding her. I cut it back a bit and we have perfect stools three times a day almost like clockwork.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Another vote for Fromm, Delgado ate their LBP until 13 months and did fantastic on it. It's not grain free but he didn't have any issues with it, and now he's on their four star grain free line along with my poodle.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Using Fromm LBP too for my 5 month old. He was eating Orijen at first but his stools were very soft/loose, which was unfortunate. After switching to Fromm there have been zero issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Sounds like the overall consensus is to feed LBP. I need to start comparing food then. Keeping calcium around or under 1%. What about switching off puppy food? When should I be doing that? I have also hear conflicting stories, 1year, 6mons, 8mons, 1.5years, some say start with all life stages. I have talked to both vets and food people. And I keep getting mixed opinions. Or should I just go with what the breeder recommended?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts