1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Puppy attributes for agility/obedience/tracking?

Sire Racker vom Gleisdreieck
SCHH3 Kkl 1

Dam Kessy vom Cherusker

Hey, if the pup is sable like the parents they'll be perfect.. (uh, maybe not). What you need is a confident dog with alot of play drive who wants to interact and be with you. The lines appear to be good, working rather than showlines (I believe?).

And you need to have confidence in the breeder. Find out why they have the dog still at 7 months old.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Re: Puppy attributes for agility/obedience/tracking?

How about structure? I assume the conformation of the dog would go a long way into deciding how well it works and for how long. If the shoulders cannot absorb the blows and the rear so floppy that turns are executed poorly and the dog so long as to weaken the back, I imagine the dog is going to be more prone to injury. I'm not talking show conformation, I'm talking conformation that works, regardless of lines.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Since you are going to look at a 7 month old young dog I would evaluate the dog and not the pedigree. If you can see the parents to get an idea of adult temperament that would be good, but mostly I would worry about the dog itself. I would personally look for a dog on the smaller side. Test him over some obstacles if you can. See how he is on steps, with heights (have him jump up on a picnic table if nothing else), asses toy and food drive, test sound sensitivity, how he is around other dogs. Is he bold and pushy, wanting to do what ever is asked even if it is a new thing? Make sure his bite (how his teeth fit) is OK, that he is easy to handle and I would want hip/elbow prelims. I know I have missed a few things.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Diana is correct. Structure is very important too. A short coupled dog with moderate angulation, good feet and pasterns will hold up much better.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
His breeder has described him as "compact". He is currently 55 pounds; she expects him to mature at about 25" and 75 pounds. I have only seen one picture, of him in a sit, so I will be interested to see what he looks like (structurally) in person.

She has also described him as high energy, eager to please, and handler focused. We'll see!

You've all given me some good ideas of how to evaluate him. Thanks!

~Kristin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts