German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zoey has many issues, one of them are allergies. I'm almost certain its food allergies my vet also thinks that is what it is. (No testing has been done on her.) After going through many different foods and ingredients ( even tried just cooked deer meat and sweet potatos) nothing worked. Zoey was itching, scratching and chewing constantly which would cause bad skin infections. My vet would then put her on antibiotics for the skin infection. It got to the point that zoey was on antibiotics all the time which would cause yeast infections and then there was meds. for that! My husband hunts so that's when we did the deer and sweet potato. I had her on it for a week 2x a day. From the second day into it zoey started throwing up. I finally gave her dog food on the 6th day. The throwing up stopped completely by that night! My husband told me he thought she might be allergic to red meat. Maybe she is! So we found this food. Its a Horse and Hound brand. That is the only place that sells it. Zoey has been on this food for about four months and all skin problems have gone away! My vet was very impressed. 1369581984786.jpg
They have always had it in. I have never had a problem... until the other day. Zoey needed food and they were out until next week!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I bought the closest thing possible. It is taste of the wild. If this works with zoey many stores sell it so it would be easier to get. Then I shouldn't have to do any more unexpected food switches. What do you all think?

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
TOTW is not a bad food. I used to feed my dogs that or Nature's Domain. I would still be feeding it, but last April/May Diamond, the parent company that makes the food, had a large recall. As it wasn't the company's first recall, I've decided not to feed it anymore. But I still think overall it's a decent food and a higher protein level than the other food you were feeding.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I feed TOTW and my dog is very healthy with a beautiful shiny coat. He also does not shed too much because of being on a good food. Don't let the recall scare you. There are a lot of other companies out there that have recalls too.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
1ST. You have to find what works or in this case maybe what doesn't work. Switching to seafood is a great choice and I hope it works. Once you find the diet that works then you start researching which brand of food that fits your budget and quality and go from there.

I also fed TOTW for a short time but felt better going with a top contender in Orijen.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Like one of the posters said - trial and error - get sample bags of dog food and feed your dog different flavors and eliminate what your dog doesn't like or that makes him feel listless. When you find a food your dog loves or is happy with, you can then buy the usual amount.

Every dog is an individual so it can take some time to settle on the right diet for your dog. Good luck!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankyou all for your input. It sounds like TOTW isn't a bad food according to most of you. Salmon or fish is the ingredient that seems to agree with zoey and keep away the skin issues. So far she seems to be doing good on TOTW. But it has only been two days so we'll see...

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
You may want to try NutriScan by Dr. Jean Dodds. A friend of mine got both test panels and it was amazing! You can go thru ingredient lists and make sure none of the "sensitive items" are in it. Her dogs bare spots have started to grow back and his itching has lessened about 50%. The body takes a while to purge the sensitivities so be patient. Her dog has been on just meat and a small amount of vegetables and has been holding steady for about 3 weeks now.

"This test measures antibodies to certain foods in dog saliva. High antibody levels indicate that the dog has a food sensitivity and intolerance to that food or foods. Food intolerance or sensitivity is actually quite common whereas food allergy is rare. In fact, food intolerance is the third most common sensitivity condition in dogs and often can be easily remedied with a change in diet.Dr. Jean Dodds, NutriScan tests for the twenty most commonly ingested foods by dogs to provide you with specific results as to your dog's food intolerances or sensitivities. Since it is a salivary test, you have the convenience to complete the test at home or at your veterinarian’s office. Best of all, you can have the results in approximately two weeks to help you put your dog on the right diet.
Please remember, NutriScan is novel and patented and is not testing for food allergies, but rather tests for food sensitivities and intolerance. These are different body immune responses. Food allergy is a more immediate reaction mediated by production of IgE and IgG antibodies. Food sensitivity and intolerance, by contrast, measures a more delayed body response to offending foods by measuring production of IgA and IgM antibodies primarily in mucosal secretions from the bowel.
NutriScan is conveniently split into two test panels, so you can order one or both." I’d order both.
Panel1: Beef, Corn, Wheat, Soy, Cows Milk, Lamb, Venison/Deer, Chicken, Turkey, White Fish
Panel 2: Chicken, Eggs, Barley, Millet, Oatmeal, Salmon, Rabbit, Rice, Quinoa, Potato, Peanut/Peanut Butter

$130 for one panel (10 antigens), $250 for two panels (20 antigens). Vet Allergy test cost about $500 for 20 antigens. Check this page for test differences: http://nutriscan.org/the-nutriscan-difference/nutriscan-vs-skin-patchskin-prick-testing.html
You can PM me if you have specific questions.
Hope this helps!:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Which brand or type of food is best recommended for gds pup. Curently iam giving him natural balance any other brand if u think is right please let me know i would like him to try different ones thanks

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Which brand or type of food is best recommended for gds pup. Curently iam giving him natural balance any other brand if u think is right please let me know i would like him to try different ones thanks

Natural Balance has just merged with Del Monte, so the quality of that food may change as others have when they allow "big companies" the right to "adjust" there recipes to make it lucrative for them.

On another note, Royal Canin is now going to use Chicken By-Products in it's recipes!:shocked: http://www.truthaboutpetfood2.com/RoyalCaninByProducts.pdf

Personally, the quality of the ingredients is my thing when not feeding raw and I use The Honest Kitchen dehydrated Human Quality food. All Natural Dog Food - Dehydrated Pet Food | The Honest Kitchen HK is the ONLY company that the FDA legally allows the words "HUMAN GRADE" to be used on it packaging and advertising, because it is human grade food prepared in a human grade facility. To date, there isn't any other pet food manufacturer that can claim this. A 10 pound box re-hydrates to approx. 35 pounds of food and averages $2.32 per pound. It can be purchased on the net, from HK or at Doggie Boutiques (not chain stores). Go to this page and type in your zip code Where to Buy Honest Kitchen - Honest Kitchen Stores | The Honest Kitchen
Hope this helps!
Moms:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts