German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sorry I feel like a post dumb questions lol but this is my first GSD and my first actual dog on my own so I want to make all the best choices for her. She is 10 months old and currently weighs about 65 lbs. I have slowly been changing her to adult food, which has been a struggle lol. I assume she had a food sensitivity to chicken, because that was what the puppy food she was on and she had the poops often. I now have that under control with a probiotic chew and I have her on instinct raw food (which was the same as her puppy) but I’m starting her on the Natural lamb and oatmeal recipe. And today I noticed it says not recommended for large breed puppies/dogs expected to be over 70lbs. So does that mean this is an absolute no I shouldn’t feed her? She’s such a picky eater and honestly this is the only one of gotten her to eat somewhat of the kibble. But now she won’t even eat dog food unless I put can food in it 🙄 but I think that’s just her being spoiled cause I was mixing a bland diet for a while to get her poops under control and now because she was spayed and needed to eat food for her medicines lol But should I entirely switch her food because of the weight? I’ve considered Earthborns lamb and ancient grain recipe because I like the ingredients better. But I’m not sure she will eat it because I tried a small bag of the salmon one and she hated it. Finding a good dog food that she will eat is so freaking stressful lol
and advice of anything would be great. I am going to talk with our vet Monday because we go to get her staples out from her spay. Which also kinda curious what I should expect from that? Do they put her under for it? Or do they just try to hold her and take them out?! Cause I don’t think she will go for that lol

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't have much advice for you on the dog food. But if she's holding out for better stuff because you've kinda spoiled her with it, you've gotta take a hard line... She either eats what you give her or she goes hungry. She'll learn. I also recommend not leaving the food dish down if she doesn't eat immediately, give her a few minutes and if she doesn't eat it, put it away.

I don't have time or money for expensive or raw food, but I try to get a good quality kibble. Right now my dog gets kibble twice a day, with half a can of wet food once per day.

For the spay... They did not put my dog under to remove her stitches. One tech held her in a beg position while the other clipped the stitches. They did muzzle her for safety but she was pretty calm about it. Only took 20 seconds!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
All the brands you've been feeding are good brands... My suggestion is to stick to one and not change their food for the sake of it. It's VERY hard to fix a picky eater if you create one.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
I wouldn't switch her food just because the bag says that. At 10 months, she is more than old enough to be on an adult formula. It simply means that the food is not an all-life-stages formula and shouldn't be fed to young puppies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think your dog is just very spoiled, don't worry so much about it. When she will get hungry, she will eat whatever you give her and will get used to that. At least that how it worked for me. When I bought my dog, I didn't know anything about the daily routine, how to take care of it, or about food. So, I read a lot of articles and reviews about dogs' food, and the most useful information and recommendation I found on woofbarkgrowl.co.uk. You can check it for more tips. So, I bought for my dog food from Taste of Wild and at the beginning, he didn't like it then he got used to that and now my pet can not live without that food. What I want to say is that, for a dog, it's quite tough to get used to a new routine and it takes time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We had problems with Lucky when we first got him with come and go bloody diarrhea that required expensive trips to the vet for antibiotics and tests. (our county makes us test in case it's a 'bug' that can be transmitted to humans). We had always fed the dogs moderate priced dog food but nothing fussy. So we tried other brands, working our way up the checkbook. I finally spent a day reading on the Internet and the answer seemed to be adult Royal Canin for German Shepherds. There was a lot about their digestive system being especially long. So we tried it and it was the end of spendy trips to the vet. He thrived on it. Lucky is gone but we still feed the dogs the Royal Canin. Yes, it's spendy, but I don't have to clean the floor or spend $200 for the vet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh, I pushed the button too fast - to get control of her loose messes, give her a serving spoonful of canned pumpkin several times a day until it stops. if she's picky a little whipped cream on top goes a long way. And there are no stupid questions. Welcome.

After Jake had his legs re-aligned the vet just took the staples out. Jake was very good natured and liked his vet. It probably depends on the dog how your vet will remove them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts