German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what everyone's opinion is on this subject:
My husband and I both agree that we want our girl to be protective of our family.
He thinks that we should crate her whenever company comes over and not socialize her.
I think that we should socialize her that protection of the family is just in their genes!

SO, what do you guys think?

TIA for your opinions.

·
5,627 Posts
Your husband is wrong.

Your dog may or may not be protective of the family and you are right, it either is or isn't in her genes.

Socialization is key so that the dog learns to know what is normal and what is not otherwise she will be "protecting" you from your friends and family when they pose no real threat. And it won't be real "protection" but instead she will be acting in fear. Not socializing is a liability that you don't want.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
hubby is wrong for reasons Raven listed :)

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
SOCIALIZE SOCIALIZE SOCIALIZE. I feel a GSD has a protective instinct and you will always have that trait in your dog. Not socializing your puppy will only cause issues you do not want. If your puppy/dog is raised with love and he looks to you as his world he will protect you even if he is socialized.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Completely agree with everyone else. To limit your dogs exposure to others is a good way to have a fear aggressive dog.
GSD's have a natural protective instinct as Zayda posted and you really don't want to nuture that. Better to keep the dog socialized for everyones safety.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
When people choose to own a GSD and questions like this arise all I can think about is how important it is to research this breed before you decide you want a GSD. What your husband wants to do is a very detrimental thing to do although I kinda understand his logic but he is wrong. Please research more about the breed and continue asking questions and you will learn a lot. good luck

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
One thing to do to keep your pups confidence level high is to let her know that you are the one that protects her! She shouldn't ever have to feel the need to protect the family...that is too much for many dogs and they become reactive to everything.
As she matures it will be a natural feeling, but when she is a pup, she should always look to you first for direction.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
SOCIALIZE SOCIALIZE SOCIALIZE. I feel a GSD has a protective instinct and you will always have that trait in your dog. Not socializing your puppy will only cause issues you do not want. If your puppy/dog is raised with love and he looks to you as his world he will protect you even if he is socialized.

Yes, Yes, Yes, I agree!

Socializing is VERY important.

When and if the time comes they can sense when someone wants to do you harm and they will step in to protect you.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Completely agree with everyone else. To limit your dogs exposure to others is a good way to have a fear aggressive dog.
GSD's have a natural protective instinct as Zayda posted and you really don't want to nuture that. Better to keep the dog socialized for everyones safety.
So true.

There is a guy in our neighborhood that followed your husband's plan and he has a beautiful dog that is ruined. He has to avoid all other dogs and most people. One day we bumped into him and his wife ... and my wife started talking and I thought the dog was going to attack her. His wife said, "Oh, he doesn't like it when women talk."

:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Ask your husband this: Does he want to have a dog, that will one day, bite the neighbor or the neighbor's child? Now that neighbor is suing your family and animal control has taken your dog to be destroyed because she has been marked "dangerous".

If he doesn't mind that situation happening then by all means don't socialize your dog.
However, if you love your dog and want what is best for her then like everyone on here has said: SOCIALIZE, SOCIALIZE, SOCIALIZE. Also, TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN.

Not every GSD has it in them to be protective but pretty much every one of them will act as a deterrent just with their presence in the house. I have an 18 month old puppy who wouldn't know what to do if someone broke in and a 10 year old black foster who weighs in at 85lbs with bad hips. But I guarantee if someone broke in they would turn and leave at just the sight of these 2 large, loud, rambunctious monsters. And that makes me feel very safe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of your input! I knew this to be true, just needed some backing for him. Lol our pup is doing great! And she does already seem to look to me for direction! I am really enjoying her! Can't wait for her shots to be done so we can enroll in puppy classes!!!
Thanks again for all of your input!!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
That is great! And anytime you would like to post pics, we would love to see them!!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
An unsocialized puppy/dog can quickly become a lawsuit.

Your husband is very wrong. I've had German Shepherds for 27 years. They were all socialized and loved people and other dogs. They were great dogs but yet wonderful security systems. They always let me know when someone was coming. I have no doubt, they would have protected me to their best ability if the need should have risen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts