German Shepherds Forum banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Dogs who are allergic to chicken can be allergic to all feathered animals. You have to test with trial and error. The only food I would stay away from now is rabbit, because if you decide to try a novel protein the only one available in a prescription is rabbit and potato. Mine at one point got a reaction to white rice and pumpkin. His skin cleared up a lot when I switched to filtered water. They can be allergic to anything, just like humans can.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A dirty dog can be turned around though. I got one of those. It took several months of being fastidious and consistent.

First, absolutely no absorbent crate pads. No pillows, no stuffies, no blankets.

Then, once her course of antibiotics is done — and her labs come back clean— we take her for regular walks/play before bed/naps etc.

Time meals, snacks, water so that you’re giving these after she wakes up, not before.

Please do not EVER punish a dog for urinating or defecating anywhere.You can interrupt the behavior with a simply “ack!”snd bringing her outside. But please, don't hit her crate or throw anything at it. We want the crate to be her safe place where she feels protected. Activities like this just make crate training much more difficult.

(FWIW, dogs who are punished for eliminating will hide it. They think “my human hates when I poop and pee.This is how people end up with dogs that go behind draperies or under the bed. That is an awful problem and much harder to resolve because they don’t let you see them go. I adopted a dog from the county shelter with this problem. It took me almost 1.5 years to fully housebreak her)

ok, back to dirty dogd. The key is, we don’t let them get their beds wet or dirty and if they do, we change it instantly. That means having extra water resistant pads waiting and an empty laundry (I used a plastic garbage can) you can toss the wet one in. The Kong/Walmart mats I suggest above go through normal cycle easily. I have a number of them from my days when I was doing this (now, they stack for comfy beds for Doggyy sunbathing)

As time goes on, the dog is being properly housebroken AND she learns what it’s like to be clean. It takes time, but dogs strongly prefer to have clean places to sleep.

It took my “dirty dog” several months, but she is the most fastidious dog now. She‘s a smaller dog, but sleeps in about 6 soft fleece blankets on a 4” thick memory foam pad in her GSD size crate.

She has also earned a water bowl that’s in her crate all night long. And if she accidentally spills her water, she barks until I come and replace the wet blankets. She learned that being clean and dry is wonderful. She won’t ever (intentionally) wet her bed again.

It was simply a matter of keeping her and her bed clean and dry until the lightbulb went on.

I don’t doubt your pup can learn this as well. GSDs are finickier than many other breeds. She just needs to be calmly shown the way
My female came with anxioty issues n insecure but shes gotten a bit better..it is easyer with a more trained dog but if your consistent takes more work but passing her on would be sad.so staying n working with her. Just have to be creative n with time..shes definatly teaching me patients n love

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Just got the urine panel results back. No infections, etc. but pH was 8.5 and struvite crystals present. Going to start on some type of cranberry product. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
31,110 Posts
Just got the urine panel results back. No infections, etc. but pH was 8.5 and struvite crystals present. Going to start on some type of cranberry product. Any suggestions?
What was your vet's suggestion for treatment?

For UTI's, I use D-mannose which is a sugar derived from cranberries. There are studies supporting the use of d-mannose for bacteria, specifically e-coli. But I can't find any in a quick search for crystals. I did find this though connecting bacteria with the formation of struvite crystals. So maybe D-Mannose will work for that as well? I buy the NOW D-Mannose. It's a bottle of powder. It's sugar so humidity will make it clump up.

These are stones and could be causing discomfort which could be contributing to the house breaking issue?

I've always found this to be a helpful site

https:// onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/1541-4337.12211
"d-Mannose: Properties, Production, and Applications: An Overview"

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
What was your vet's suggestion for treatment?

For UTI's, I use D-mannose which is a sugar derived from cranberries. There are studies supporting the use of d-mannose for bacteria, specifically e-coli. But I can't find any in a quick search for crystals. I did find this though connecting bacteria with the formation of struvite crystals. So maybe D-Mannose will work for that as well? I buy the NOW D-Mannose. It's a bottle of powder. It's sugar so humidity will make it clump up.

These are stones and could be causing discomfort which could be contributing to the house breaking issue?

I've always found this to be a helpful site

https:// onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/1541-4337.12211
"d-Mannose: Properties, Production, and Applications: An Overview"
So, not a UTI but pretty high pH which I guess causes the crystals. Vet suggested we could try a urine acidifier but it can be tricky getting to the right pH level without going too far and causing different crystals. I've been using NOW D-Mannose for a while now as you recommended but maybe I wasn't using enough? I did see the struvite crystals can cause incontinence and UTI issues, so it just might be the source of the problem. How much D-Mannose do you think I should be using for her. She's roughly 27-28 lbs. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
This article might be helpful to you

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
This article might be helpful to you

Great article. Started her with some ACV last night. Plan is to give her that and cranberry extract and see if that helps. I'm holding off on the internist for now as I'd rather not drop another thousand bucks chasing down something that might not even be there. Not surprisingly, I've already spent more on vet bills than we paid for the dog. Wouldn't be the first time.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts