German Shepherds Forum banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
I hope she grows out of it without any further treatment. It does sound terribly frustrating. She isn't spayed yet is she? And that won't help. I do wonder if there is something wrong with the formation of the vulva. Someone said, keep the puppy empty. I can't go with that. It is ok to take the water away in the evening to get a dry night, but you do not want a dehydrated puppy. She has to drink. In fact with problems like UTIs and diarrhea they need to drink. I agree that this is in no way her fault or yours. It is possible though that she will come out of this intact and be a great pet for you all. I hope that is the case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I choose a dog, I take my time and just sit there for an hour among puppies and do nothing, I throw a key at a corner, observe (which one's go explore, which ones are startled, the ones afraid), thus in that hour or so (or longer if I take a nap), I find out a lot about the characters. Once I chose mine, I keep it, if parasites or no parasites or other issues, I have bonded with it and will do all I can, in a severe case (Had none) I would expect breeder to do all in his/her powers to help, but I would take care of it from that point on, basically a family member the second I put the dog in the car.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I hope she grows out of it without any further treatment. It does sound terribly frustrating. She isn't spayed yet is she? And that won't help. I do wonder if there is something wrong with the formation of the vulva. Someone said, keep the puppy empty. I can't go with that. It is ok to take the water away in the evening to get a dry night, but you do not want a dehydrated puppy. She has to drink. In fact with problems like UTIs and diarrhea they need to drink. I agree that this is in no way her fault or yours. It is possible though that she will come out of this intact and be a great pet for you all. I hope that is the case.
I think I said keep her as empty as possible but what I meant was, potty her outside a lot, not with hold water. I think with holding water is contrary to clearing up uti?

Anyway. I meant, take her out as often as you would an 8 week old. Not with holding from the other end.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Getting eyes (which have gotten a lot worse) and urinary issues checked out further today. While we're trying to deal with all this, there's still another possible problem looming. Yes, we started off rough with GI issues, but she's had no problems eating/digesting, etc. in quite a while. However, she's 17 weeks and weighs only 26 lbs. She is thin/lean but does not look underfed or underweight in proportion to her size. Slow growth is good, but I think she's pretty far off a "good" growth curve. My guess is there may be growth/developmental issues we'll be dealing with in the future. And the misery train continues.....you know what they say about hindsight!

·
Registered
31,107 Posts
If she's healthy, I wouldn't get caught up in size. My female is 18 months, 50# and just made standard in height. That is not always a gauge of health or developmental issues.

·
Registered
212 Posts
How many lbs has she been putting on per week? Or overall in the last month or so? That would be more important than total weight. How much do you feed her? My female was 36lbs at 17 weeks, but she is extremely large for a female (and she didn't have any GI issues setting her back), so you're really not that far off standard.

What's the problem with her eyes? Maybe I missed this, sorry.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My guy was tiny, like teeny tiny. (10-15 lbs smaller than his littermate sisters). The breeder and I expected that maybe he’d break 60 lbs. He is currently 79 lbs and still growing at 11 mos. I WANT slow consistent growth.

If your girl is eating good food, and growing consistently (even if slowly), I’d have the internist check out her gi system but not be too worried about that.

It’s easy to fall into catastrophic thinking with sick puppies, but our anxiety gets transferred to them.

Keep a journal of everything that is unusual to discuss with her vet, but try to keep in mind that our babies are have all sorts of hormones surging through their bodies. Their immune systems are immature. It’s not uncommon for odd stuff to pop up.

I have a vet clinic with a couple vets I absolutely trust, and so I can text them or drop in for a quick visit if I get concerned (I tend to err on the side of caution). I think it would be really helpful for you to find someone like that, even if you have to drive a decent distance once you’ve seen the internist. I literally have veterinarians up and down the west coast, depending on the specialty. Is it insane to drive that far? Sure, but I just need experts I personally trust.

Maybe someone here can give you recommendations for someone local-ish.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
If she's healthy, I wouldn't get caught up in size. My female is 18 months, 50# and just made standard in height. That is not always a gauge of health or developmental issues.
I nevert get caught up in size or want the biggest dog. However, when considering her line, parents and litter mates, she is definitely smaller than she would/should be. My only concern is that she is or was somehow stunted by everything going on. I know I need to be patient and wait and see.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
How many lbs has she been putting on per week? Or overall in the last month or so? That would be more important than total weight. How much do you feed her? My female was 36lbs at 17 weeks, but she is extremely large for a female (and she didn't have any GI issues setting her back), so you're really not that far off standard.

Day after we brought her home at 8 weeks she was 16 lbs. At 17 weeks, she's 26 lbs. She's gained about a pound in the last week and a half. Her parents are on the larger size.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #90

Might be mange. Might be infection. Treating and hoping for mange at this point but her eyelids are extremely swollen, lot of clear discharge. She looks awful.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Interested to hear what the vet thinks. I know it must feel overwhelming for you right now, but you are doing everything right. I sincerely hope it turns out to be a bunch of concurrent minor issues. Puppies do tend to get a lot of minor things, and one infection can suppress the immune system enough to allow another to set in. Fingers crossed she starts to get a bit better soon (or they can at least really pin point what is going on!).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Interested to hear what the vet thinks. I know it must feel overwhelming for you right now, but you are doing everything right. I sincerely hope it turns out to be a bunch of concurrent minor issues. Puppies do tend to get a lot of minor things, and one infection can suppress the immune system enough to allow another to set in. Fingers crossed she starts to get a bit better soon (or they can at least really pin point what is going on!).
Thank you. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
My dog was 13 lbs at 8 weeks. He had Giardia and no one realized it at the time. Once it all cleared up he put weight on and now is 77 lbs, where his ideal weight for his size is 70 lbs. he gets exercise and he is intact and very muscular so I don’t worry either way.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Might be mange. Might be infection. Treating and hoping for mange at this point but her eyelids are extremely swollen, lot of clear discharge. She looks awful.
This could be a symptom of an allergy. This combined with the hair loss makes it seem even more plausible. Have you tried anything to rule out or treat allergies at this point? We have used steroid eye drops before with our dog who has mild allergies and gets a clear discharge in his eye and they seem to help quite a bit.

·
Registered
31,107 Posts
Allergy symptom! That's logical. So odd others with the same experience didn't post that before! You could check into that, buddyr93.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Allergy symptom! That's logical. So odd others with the same experience didn't post that before! You could check into that, buddyr93.
Good idea. Only problem is that if it's a food allergy we're screwed anyway. Don't have a whole lot of options there right now with her GI issues.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Good idea. Only problem is that if it's a food allergy we're screwed anyway. Don't have a whole lot of options there right now with her GI issues.
GI issues are very common with food sensitivities. I haven't read most of the 96 comments. I'm aware you have been struggling with health issues with this pup from day one.
I have an "allergy" dog. True food allergies in dogs are rare but food sensitivities are very common. Symptoms can vary from mild skin and or GI issues to severe health issues with GI, skin, eyes and ears.
Have you tried a hydrolyzed protein vet prescription diet? It's a really good way to determine if any or all of your pups health issues are food related. 70% of the immune system is in the gut. If gut health is compromised overall health is compromised. Young pups are hit especially hard by this if the GI tract is inflamed due to food intolerance. They suffer from malabsorption of nutrients that further compromises the whole body.
If you have tried a hypoallergenic diet already ignore me... if you haven't I would discuss with your vet and give it a try.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Vet couldn't find any mites in the skin scrapings but putting her on Bravecto just in case. Also abx ointment for her eye and testing for roundworm. It actually looks a little better today. Full urine panel being done and probably won't get that back till Monday. If that shows nothing, it's on to the internist for full exam.

Springbrz, understand what you're saying but believe it or not, when we were having the serious GI issues, it was kibble that seemed to trigger it. The only thing she could eat without having diarrhea was cooked chicken and rice. Every time we introduced kibble (small amounts gradually of several different brands), she started to have loose stool and was pooping in her crate, etc. So, then we tried The Honest Kitchen and haven't had any GI issues since. We are on the whole grain and chicken variety but I may do a transition to the turkey to see if that clears anything up. I've had dogs with allergies before and the hydrolyzed protein ($$$$) diet did not help them. It was a matter of finding the right food with the right protein.

·
Registered
31,107 Posts
Everyone always focuses on the protein. Seger is allergic to white potatoes and green beans. Also, when you look at proteins, chicken and turkey are very similar proteins and may have a cross over reaction IF that is the cause. So if you are going to switch from chicken I wouldn't go to turkey. Water fowl such as duck might work. Beef would be an option, or pork.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Ziva can have fewer things than she can't and label reading is a must. She can't have most proteins but it's the legumes that tend to present the biggest challenge. So many foods and treats have peas, lentils, chickpeas, peanuts or soybean oil in them. One thing I also found problematic was the oil. If chicken is an issue and a food or treat has chicken fat as an ingredient it can be enough to cause issues. Same with fish oils. Salmon oil is great unless your dog can't have fish of any type.
Food sensitivities are one of the worst things to figure out.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts