German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any and all opinions! We currently have Angel - almost 9 month old female - she was a rescue (picked her up at 7 wks). She is currently in advanced obedience and doing very well.

She is doing great - doesn't bark at meeting new people unless they are coming onto OUR property, and then she stops as soon as we tell her it is ok. However, with dogs, she just seems to have no interest in other dogs at all. She does great in class and we take her to the park a lot; doesn't bark or growl at other dogs at all; but if they come close (in class) to her and sniff, she just kind of backs away and snuggles up to us. Only had one incident where she growled very slightly, when another dog in class (male shepherd) would not leave her alone at all. She growled the slight growl (just a mild warning I think) and that was enough to get the dogs owner to get her back.

Now - my question! My husband and I have fallen in LOVE with this breed and while we are not actively seeking to add another dog to our family, we might be interested in rescueing another shepherd in need of rescue, if there is one that comes up close to us. Do you think it would be a good idea 1) due to Angel only being 8 1/2 months old and/or 2) she doesnt seem to care for other dogs that much?

I just saw a post today with one needing rescued that is only about 2 hours from us (someone else has rescued him already), which made me think of getting opinions on this!!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I personally would wait until your current dog is fully trained and mature (around 2 years old) before bringing in another dog. Some dogs take a couple steps back with training when a new dog comes in.

I would also go with adopting a male since you already have a female.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I'll third it. Wait a little bit, get a male. Also, your trainer should be monitoring what is going on with your pup. She is afraid of other dogs, I am guessing from lack of socialization or an incident that occured before you rescued her. Introductions of dogs should be done on a formal basis. That is, with supervision of a qualified trainer, to monitor the situation and make sure all dogs are comfortable with it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments!!

As far as the other dogs issue, we are working on it. She was found at 5 1/2 weeks abandoned with 10 other siblings, so not sure if something happened prior to that or not that may have caused the fear. We have been trying to work with her during classes -she just seems so timid around any other dog that is her same size or larger - doesn't seem to bad with small dogs. Walking by other dogs, she does great, she just ignores them, its just when they come to her to sniff that she seems to get anxious and unfortunately, the other owners in the class just sit back and watch and think its "cute". The only people we know personally that have dogs that we could use to work with her more, live 2 hours away, and their dog does NOT like other dogs at all.......

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hope you're aware that Missouri has two German Shepherd Rescue-one of out St. Louis and the other out of KC-plus there's always a plenty of GS in the shelters and on Craigslist.
I would have to ask how experienced are you with dogs-I've six GS ranging from 7 months through 5 1/2 years-with four-4, 4 1/2, 5 & 5 1/2 and 2 year of age-but then I've been around animals/livestock my entire life-I've also had a plenty of rescues and fosters over the last decade.
A lot depends on your experience and attitude.
My old male that I lost in January didn't care for other dogs until I got the second one-they became great buddies and he accepted all of the GS that followed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldnt say I have a LOT of experience but do have some. We had a black lab for 14 1/2 years before we lost her (that was 2 1/2 yrs ago) and then Angel who is our first German Shepherd. As far as attitude - Our kids are grown and married (both got married last month!!) so our pets are our family and pretty much our life, other than work. We are home bodies, only going out to fish or golf when its not too hot and we love our animals!!! (Angel, 180 gal fish tank, and a blue tongue skink) I was aware of the GS rescue in St Louis but not the one in KC.

Thats nice to hear about your dog not liking others until you brought home the 2nd one! After losing 3 animals (our dog and then 2 cats - dog 14 1/2, cats 16, 16 1/2) in a span of 13 months - it just got tooooo quiet and we had to get another!! I think I may take everyone's advice and wait at least a year, until Angel gets trained more before we rescue another - even though it gets very tempting!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts