German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
She seems to be a mix of west German working, west German show, and Czech, but there is also a little DDR and Belgian lines in there too.

Not a pedigree of a dog I would consider because of the west German show lines. Just a personal dislike. :)

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I agree with Lisa on ALL counts.

That is one of those pedigrees that makes me wonder, "What WERE they thinking?".

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
It is a pedigree that has all the lines Lisa mentioned. The showlines themselves happen to be fairly good lines especially the Bullinger dog. Nonetheless, I don't care for this pedigree because of the showline mix with too many other types. You definitely are going to get "some" nerviness, probably with low threshholds and high aggression. No predictability for what a dog bred like this would produce....not my cup of tea....but that doesn't mean its bad.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the insight. :) So i'm assuming mixing German show and working lines are either not as common or not recommended?

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
It depends on the working lines and the show lines. Back when the West showlines still had Mutz up close in the pedigrees and the workinglines were a balance of prey/defense you could pull it off. Today, many of the showlines have nerves that are not strong enough to handle the drive or aggression from the workinglines. So you mix a high working prey dog with a showline and you get pups that never settle down because the nerve can't "cap" the drive. Then it feeds to people saying that workinglines are too much for a family. Same thing with strong social aggression mixed with show and you often get what we call a nervy sharp dog. This is the main reason people don't go to showlines to improve structure if they have a nice workingline dog. When you have a dog with rock solid nerve you can breed to anything, but that nerve has to be genetic based for generations. Its nothing against showlines, they just don't give you a consistency in temperament when outcrossed to workinglines with strong prey and social aggression. I will say that the OP pedigree does have some stronger showlines than normal:rolleyes:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, and I apologize for all the questions but I find pedigrees to be really fascinating and I love learning about the different types.

So these show line dogs in this pedigree that have working titles don't really make much of a difference? Or are you referring to the more modern day show line dogs?

And for kind of a fun question; what lines would/should this female be crossed with in hopes of improving what is in the pedigree? Or with such a varied mix of lines would this be a dog not worth breeding?

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I would breed her to a nice middle of the road workingline. I would consider the Anrebri Czech dogs, or a solid DDR dog, or even a moderate west working dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts