German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must start by saying that I should know better than to search online for certain questions... especially GSD related as they get a bad rep. :( So, I am coming here because we all love the breed and understand the breed!

I have a male GSD who is 15 months and am looking into rescuing an 8 month female long coat GSD. We are meeting her on Thursday. Now, I have not had a female GSD before and looked up temperament. I will admit that some of the stuff is scary. First, can you GSD (of females) owners tell me what your beautiful girls are like?

Also, if you have a male, how do they get along? And, if they are off leash, how do they treat and interact with people and other dogs? Cooper loves people... all people. And, he likes to play with dogs. :)

Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I have had 2 females. They were both wonderful loving dogs. Never had an issue. Well my girl now can be a bit snarky with other dogs, but nothing that precludes us from going everywhere. Even with lots of other dogs.

But each dog is an individual.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had 2 females. They were both wonderful loving dogs. Never had an issue. Well my girl now can be a bit snarky with other dogs, but nothing that precludes us from going everywhere. Even with lots of other dogs.

But each dog is an individual.

Love the word snarky. :) We were at a dog park and Cooper went up to a female GSD to say hello. He loves playing with other GSDs. She must have been older, but she looked at him and grunted. We ran into her a half hour later and she went up to Cooper but he ignored her this time. It was so sad because she was waiting for him.

Would you say females are aggressive?

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
How they get along with other dogs depends on how they're socialized, by and large. There's no generalization to be made based on breed or gender. There is, IMHO, no real difference in temperament between genders either (people have anecdotal experiences, but nothing consistent that you can really count on)...all depends on how well they're socialized, etc.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My female is great. She's sharp, quick, and always watching me, ready to do what I ask, or sit and cuddle with me. I really enjoy her, a true Velcro dog. I cannot compare her to a male GSD, as I've only had her. My collies were male and they were much more mellow, but a different breed. She doesn't like other dogs, but is great with people. I don't let her off leash because of her dislike of other dogs, and her prey drive is strong, and i woukd loose her chasing a roaming cat. She gets along with my cats, but I have to ask her to leave one particular kitty alone because she gets obsessed with her. I would definitely have another female, although not with her; it would have to be a male pup.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discoe is the second female GSD that I've owned. She's a very sweet, open dog. She loves to meet people and is fine with other dogs, though she can be a little bit of a bully if the other dogs let her. She's not mean, and won't start anything, but she has the tendency to be a little bit pushy.
I don't own a male, but she sees males on a regular basis and gets along fine with them. Off-leash with other dogs, she likes to stay with the group and typically won't wander off on her own, but will occasionally come back to check on what the humans are doing (I like to call her the Fun Police, constantly checking to make sure that we're all still there and that everyone is getting along).

As gsdsar said, though, each dog is an individual. My last female, Reba, was not at all pushy and more enjoyed venturing off on her own with a buddy or by herself to just explore and smell things. She was not a terribly group-oriented dog though she got along just fine with them.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
My last female was dominant, bitchy, downright stubborn, and a real handful.... but she was a perfect dog. She protected when necessary. Gentle with 2 kittens I brought home after I watched someone dump them in a parking lot that we had to hand feed. She changed my moms opinion about the breed. Great with kids. Very loving and silly. She didn't take any nonsense from other dogs. If another dog wanted to play, she would play but she played rough. Always the first to alert to actual trouble. High energy.

My current female is quiet, mellow, lazy. She's perfectly fine to sleep on the couch all day. She's great with other animals though occasionally gets a little ahead of herself in the excitement department. She is not stubborn about anything, very easy to manage, very aloof with strangers. Snoring next to me on the couch as I type this. She doesn't alert to anything really. She just hangs out.

Difference between my two girls, Zena was adopted when she was 4-5 years old. Shasta has been with us since she was 12 weeks old. It's all dependent on the individual dog and the socialization/exposure they receive.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I have 5 females at the moment. At one time, I heavily favored males. As time goes on, I have come to truly appreciate my girls to the point where I will only consider an exceptional male from here on out - otherwise I am perfectly content with my girls.

I adore my girls. Each one with a different personality, but all similar in certain mannerisms and behaviors. They are very bonded to the handler, loving, tender, nurturing, and sweet. I select for strong and somewhat dominant bitches so all of my females have heart and have plenty of fight. My heart female sleeps in bed with me and starts each morning by giving my hands and face a thorough bath (gross, but sweet - I've come to expect it :p). My older working line female will wriggle her entire body to greet me because she is just so dang happy to be near me, and pushes herself into me because she just can't get enough body contact. My drivey youngster's face just melts into gooey love when I praise her, but is tough and bossy on the sport field - needs and loves to work - tough as any male. My little baby puppy skips and bounces on our morning walk licking the dew off the branches low to the ground - so happy and full of life. Much cleaner than my brute of a male - or any male that I've had for that matter. I could go on and on - I simply love my females. Each one with a bright lovely personality :)

Some issues do arise with females though. Not everyone gets along so there is a crate/rotate situation that has to be followed diligently. Once females decide they hate another bitch - it's pretty much set and I don't bother forcing the issue - we just crate and rotate. They can get jealous and snippy with each other over prized resources such as handler attention, or toys. They get annoyed when one gets worked over another. They can take things to heart and are more sensitive than my male who just shrugs it off and keeps going like nothing happened. They can be moody and turn off during heat cycles or "just because". They tend to remember a lot more and as a whole have kept grudges which my males have never seemed to do.

But in the end, I will take a strong female over a male any day. Love my females - you will see subtle but noticeable differences with females - both good and bad, but imo females are a lot of fun :)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
To answer your other question....every single female I have gets along fine with my male/males. They might have issues with each other, but they all boss him around (even the baby pup) and he just eats it up - I think the big flirt likes it :p

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
As of right now my female is way better with other dogs then my male. She was socialized from the very beginning. She favors small dogs, she is my girl...I love her to pieces, just everything about her.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl can be a bit pushy and stubborn at times, but for now I will attribute that to growing up. She's only 7 and a half months old.
She is very loving though, but not as if she will sit in your lap on the couch. She's perfectly content to sit with you and munch on a pig ear or sleep or watch TV.

She sometimes sleeps with me, but always in the same room, and like the other poster stated, I usually get a bath in the morning and then she rolls over to have her belly rubbed before we get up for the day. She likes to snuggle some, but not for long.

She learns very quickly and responds to commands quickly except for recall. Seems she thinks she can come when she's ready to come. I have to repeat the command about half the time before she will move. She knows the command well. Sometimes she is so focused on whatever has her interest I can't get her attention without saying her name sharply and loudly. I really think she is just ignoring me.

Anna was more laid back, though she could be stubborn too, but not pushy or bitchy like Lisl can be at times.

Sometimes I think Lisl thinks she really is a Countess with all the lavish attention I give her though, it's no wonder.

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
I love bitches. They are all individuals. I have a couple who will romp and play with any dog. And I have some that will not. I find them in general relatively easy to train (unless you wait until they are 14 months old). They are loyal and bond strongly.

They may get the green gene (jealous) a little more than males do, with bitches within the family. Normally, one male and one female do ok.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona is independent and head strong. She is smart. She gets along with other dogs. Her sister and my mom are coming to stay with us for a couple of months. It will be the first time post heat, the girls have seen each other. Praying they won't kill each other. But Fiona is my only GSD and only dog, so my experience is limited.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've only had four GSD bitches (Tasha, Too, Honey & Faith), the rest of the Hooligans have been males. I personally like living with the boys, IMHO they're more laid back, easier to live with BUT I've found the girls are more fun and IMHO more intelligent, more aware of what's going on in their neighborhood, bossy/brassy, make me laugh, and a joy to be around. If the girl and your boy seem to get along together, I think you'd probably enjoy a female. Of course, like any dog, they all have quirks, some are more dog friendly than others, some better around kids than others, some more receptive to training than others, etc. And sometimes bitches don't like other bitches.

GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
When I was growing up we only ever had male dogs and when I was going to get my first dog ( a GSD named Diesel) I was sure I was going to get a male as that was all I ever owned... But I got Diesel and she changed my mind on the female front and now I have my second female GSD. I find females to be a little more independent than males and they are definitely more bossy! But they are fun, and each dog is an individual with their own personalities, Diesel was a big snuggle bug and loved to be near me all the time but she was very independent and liked to go off and explore but would always stay near and come to check in with me, she got along fine with male dogs but she was very handler oriented and she rarely played with other dogs she would go do her own thing or be with me... Penny well, she is not very cuddly she has started to do it a little bit on her own terms, Diesel used to sleep in bed with me but Penny will not, and she also gets along great with male dogs ( her best fur friend is a male GSD named Stanley and they get along famously) she of course is the boss and when in a group of dogs watch out she will try to boss the others around...

So all in all I really do like the females(I think though that when Penny turns a year old I will be getting another GSD and think I have decided on getting a male), they can be a bit more stubborn to train (or at least what I have noticed) they have the same amount of drive (so long as that is whats in the dog there are males out there with no drive and females out there with tons of it!) Only thing with females is there can be issues with multiple females as qbchottu said once a female decides she doesn't like another female that is the end of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all so very much! I am feeling much better now and will not look online for information! I always do this when we are about to rescue. I stress over things that in all likelihood will not happen. When we rescued Cooper, I was worried he wouldn't play with other dogs or be friendly to people. Well, totally not him on both accounts! He is a great dog! Now that we are meeting Kono tomorrow, I am starting to worry about how she will be with other dogs or if she will be too aggressive towards others entering our home. She is only 8 months and is used to being outside, so my hope is that since she doesn't know any better and was not trained, that we can push her the right direction... not overly protective. Our first GSD was definitely my protector. He would let people know he was watching them. He was not aggressive at all, but his job was to protect the family. Cooper (who is now 15 months) is starting to get the protective instincts but he loves people. We never make an issue when the door bell rings and now he will quietly wait behind me. You know... enough so the person at the door sees him. His temperament is fabulous. Kono's description said she was a high energy girl who needs training, but that she has a gentle and loving personality. To me, that sounds like she is eager to please?

Do you think that since she was a "junk yard" pup and not with many people that this would help us with training? We only use positive reinforcement and for us... sit and recall are the most important. We are still working on recall with Cooper, but I heard females pick it up quicker???

One more thing... so sorry this is so long... my daughter's friend has 2 female GSDs... one is a collie mix. The full GSD is aggressive towards all people and dogs. When people go to their house, the poor dog is locked in her crate. If she makes a peep she is spritzed with water. :( Now, logically this would tell me that she is aggressive because she is learning it from the owners, right? The training she went to was more submissive/punishment based. I think I am stressing that Kono will be like this dog even though I know we do not use punishment. They said Kono selectively fence fights. Cooper did this too, but I can't blame him. We have 2 neighbor dogs that growl and bark every time he is outside... they are both outside dogs. Since working on recall, he will now come when we call him even in the middle of a bark. If Kono is excitable, it could be barrier frustration. And, having Cooper will keep her occupied. Of course, they have to meet to see if they hit it off. Cooper is not aggressive. Thank you all for listening. I think I am going through the thing where you know you want 2 dogs, but than start telling yourself all the things that might not make it a good idea. Then, I think about all the good things. Ugh!!!! Why must I love GSDs so much? :)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
each dog is an individual:) I don't think you'll truly know how she will react to certain situations until she's in them.

I have had 2 female gsds, I am a die hard male gsd person, but the two females I've had/have been wonderful dogs.

My first was a rescue, she taught me "everything":) She was ok with people, was ok with certain dogs, mostly males tho..

My female now, Masi, has no interest in other dogs, only her circle of doggie friends, if a strange dog tries to start stuff with her, I'm sure she'd finish it..we try to avoid off leash strange dogs .

She is very aloof and has no interest in people out in public, I would say she's rather possessive of "me"..

Alot of energy, devoted, very obedient and gets along great with my senior female aussie as well as my senior male aussie.

I think male/female is a fine combo, as long as you haven't got a couple of pushy 'alpha' wannabes..

Good luck with her, and definitely keep us updated with PICTURES!:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all so much. It sounds like females might be more head strong. :) I think I would be fine with a female who didn't have to be with other dogs, but was friendly to the family and to the male GSD in the home.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I like females more but I can't have another :( 2 females in the same house just does not work often specially with a diva type like mine. so next it will be male. Even if third will have to be male. But id love to have another female. Past dogs were always males after having a female i just prefer them now. Same with female cats now. Use to always have males now I prefer females.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts