German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about this pedigree for a SAR prospect? Just curious - the dog is 2 and I have not met him yet -someone who is interested in our team.

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/para.utkoma?fadir=339357&modir=427928

Definitely got a lot of heavy hitters in the pedigree and I know a lot of folks like Mink and Lord in scentwork dogs. Dog is 4,5 on Fero. Has some zps dogs too.

I told him I would ask, the bottom line is the proof is in the puddin' and for that matter a mutt can have the right stuff and a dog from the best breeding in the world may not.

Maybe some insights on what to look for - for example - I now know some of the dogs in my Cyra's lines really are known for some dog aggression but she has incredible working drives. It is one thing to look at individual dogs but any insights based on how they are "put together"?

Things like scenting ability, hunt drives, handler aggressive tendencies, dog on dog aggression, structure, HD, stuff like that.

Like I said proof is in the pudding but this looks like a pretty strong pedigree to me.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I would go test the dog and not look at his pedigree. He is old enough where you should be able to see what is there even in a raw dog. Not like with a puppy. Even if I were to worry about hips/elbows he is old enough to x-ray.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh definitely - at this age it is all about what is there. Just curious about the pedigree -- that mix of WGR working and Czech and some of the dogs.

I would recommend to anyone to spend the money on a back and hips x-ray too. Maybe not OFA but at least a good look. Been there done that, have the dog I spent two years on only to have her wind up dysplastic. Grim got a full battery of x-rays and bloodwork before I took him.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
There are some very nice Czech/West German crosses out there.

Some K-9 handlers I have talked to that test a LOT of dogs don't like Fero crosses. They have found environmental nerve issues. This doesn't appear to be as much of a case when the Fero comes through the T litter bösen Nachbarschaft. My experience with Czech lines is pretty limited though I have liked MOST of the zPS dogs I have been around. Good nerves and drive.

I would definitely check joints and spine. There are a lot of FN hips in that pedigree and dogs not known for the best hip/elbow production.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will definitely suggest that, but after my own experience [she STILL is not showling any real symptoms of HD but I won't work her] I do to everyone. We do environmental testing too.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Having a west german dog of similar lines as the top side of this dog and a czeck dog of similar lines to the bottom side of this pedigree, I can say that the genetics exist for scent work, but what you may find in a dog like this is a true "tracker" and not an "air scenter", but if he is two and hasn't done scent work, you may be able to do either or both. My czeck pup switches back and forth. At his age, as mentioned by others, I would be much more interested in playing some scent games and see if he is even interested and how he uses his nose vs relying on his eyes.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
In having a dog that has the same top half as the sire..

Chaos my Ernst daughter would have made a very good SAR dog.. She has that high hunt/retrieve drive.. Has no problems with strange surfaces or sounds and is high drive for the toy.. Plus has a great nose..

Be interested in hearing about this dog once he's been tested..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts