German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Could you tell me if you think Dallas has show potential?
From what I could measure he was right in the middle of the allowed range for height/length/weight. There was a lot of fuzzy, opinion statements in the standard (please don't take offense. I am an engineer. I like numbers).

He is 3 years old. Is that too late to start? I call him 'little boy' because he has the personality of a little boy, although he is starting to act like an adult. Sometimes strangers say, "Him? Little?"

As a puppy the breeder said he was a show dog, and he has his papers. People are always commenting about what a handsome dog he is. So, I think I might take up dog shows as a hobby. Even if he's not a show dog, he is a loved pet. He is hard to get a photo of because he is so focused on us. That is the "hey, what interesting thing are you doing?" look.

[/img]

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I dont know anything about show quality...but man he is a BEAUTIFUL dog!!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I dont know enough to give you my opinion on if he has show potential or not, but he sure is a gorgeous boy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since he is looking at the camera, I searched for some 'head shots'. It takes a visiting puppy to distract him.

The flash was a little bright in this one, but you can see his ears. In the first photo he was listening for the neighbor's dog, his buddy.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I think he would do good, I show in the akc and ukc rings if you can get one of him stacked that would be great but I would show him, he is very handsome,

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I wish I could offer a real critique, but I think he's gorgeous! I love his color and his markings are beautiful! Very handsome boy.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Gorgeous pigment it looks like, and nice bone on him! I don't know enough to comment beyond GORRRRGEOUS!!!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
He's very handsome and has a nice bone structure. What I like to see in the ring is happiness in the work. I had a male who was east german, very dark, built like a bread truck and had a face that scared just about everyone. In the ring, he was exuberant about doing his commands and always had a smile. The judges loved him.

When you're doing OB with him, his tail should be wagging, his eyes focused on you and a little spring in his step (not jumping just merrily trotting). That makes a good show dog.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh good! I know I can not be unbiased, I think he hung the moon. Plus, except for the rare ugly dog, I think they are all gorgeous.

It will be Christmas before enough people are gathered to stack him. I will follow the instructions here and post the photos.

He is very focused on me, so that should be an advantage.

Part of my training method might be a problem. Figuring that dog butt on floor equals dog unable to do anything bad, I trained him so that good things comes to sitting dogs. I even had strangers stop petting him when his butt lifted. Now I worry he will sit when he isn't supposed to.

·
Registered
932 Posts
just a little bit of work, if you are doing conformation just teach the word stand then once that is down then work on moving his feet into position.

also if you are looking into doing conformation, use a different collar and lead with him so he will learn the difference in collars for the different things you are doing, and he has to be intact to be shown

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
My first question is, is he still intact? If he's neutered he can no longer be shown in conformation (if that is what you are asking). It is never to late to start showing in any sport by the way. My old veteran didn't step into a show ring for the first time until he was SEVEN!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He is very intact. I seem to remember the vet saying everything dropped, but I haven't looked myself. They call him Romeo at the dog park because when he was a teenager he would lick the ears of any female then try to really really slowly mount them. He thought they wouldn't notice as long as he was stealthy enough. Now he is more discriminating. He is still an early warning 'in season' alert for owners of female dogs. He'll act funny before there is any other indication.

Good to know he isn't over-the-hill.

Different collar and lead. Will do. Probably get one before stacking. Metal or not? If not, what color would be best.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Depends on the dog...I use fursavers for showing mine...a gold one because he's a red sable.

Hard to say if he's good enough to show because he's not really stacked. Have you talked to his breeder about it?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Try UKC! You can even get a TL number without having to register him, if you just want to try it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The last time the breeder saw him was when he was a puppy. I can't get a response from her. It is a small world, so I don't want to say anything except I probably have old contact info. Also, she thought all the puppies in that litter and the previous one were all show quality. All the adults were stunning, and all the puppies were stunning, so maybe it was true. Seems to me, though, that an occasional pet quality puppy is produced.

·
Registered
932 Posts
not all pups in a litter is show quality no matter how much someone would hope they are, I have used different collars if you get a rope type collar (forget the name of it) but I would get black it is like a choker but in cloth, you will need at least a 6 ft leash and soft leather is the best, no nylon or chain leashes the judges want to see the dog not collar and leash, I have used metal collars before (starts with an H but can't think of the name..lol) they are ok, I havent tried to show with a fur saver yet.

UKC shows is a great place to start if you do a TL number and like it you will have to pay $28 to get a permant number (my advice is to just go ahead and get the permant number to save money) the ukc site has a list of shows by month and state, plus you can print of the single reg. form fill it out send in a copy of akc pedigree and papers with $28 and there you go

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, shoot. UKC isn't having a show nearby, and that really sounded like the type for me. There is an AKC show in Fort Worth in March.

From reading here, I understand that there are UKC-look dogs and AKC-look dogs. Could someone tell me which one he is?

To me, his bone structure looks like the AKC type dog, and that was the standard I compared him to as best as I could. On the other hand, the breeder mentioned East German style. That they preferred lots of black. I used to do a lot of business in Germany, and he looks like several of the dogs I saw there. So, maybe he is not the American style.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I think I figured it out for myself. His breeder is under "American-bred" dogs, so I think that means he more AKC standard.

·
Registered
468 Posts
he is a nice looking dog
but not all pups in the litter coulve been show quality, breeders really cant tell when they are that young

he has the cutest ears and i love his big feet

try stacking him and sent some to your breeder/and post some here

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When his ears first popped up, they looked like Radar dishes, and the elderly Akita also in the house had the normal looking ears. Now his ears look normal, and I think "look at those tiny ears" when I look at photos of the Akita.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts