German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
I adopted my GSD at 3.5 years and don't crate her at night. She's always slept in our room. We have three dog beds on the floor (two dogs now) and they sleep on those. We *sometimes* crate during the day and I keep her crate trained for shows and riding safely in the car.

You'll just have to feel out the situation when you get her and see what makes her most comfortable.

If you have other dogs, that will also make a difference. My GSD was my first dog, so I didn't have to do any crate and rotate with her. When we got Coke, we took Kenya to our bedroom and crated him, but he whined and cried so after 5 minutes we took him up to our room. I know, I gave in, I just don't have a lot of patience when I'm dead tired and the dog is waking the neighbors (I live in a duplex, so the house is shared). We took him into our room with Kenya the first night and they were fine. But then again....the only issues they ever had was right at the beginning if Coke got in Kenya's face. Since we have three beds (four if you count them getting on OUR bed) and two dogs there's no reason to fight or get in each other's space.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.