German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

I am getting a 3.5 year old GSD in about 2 weeks. He was raised in a kennel but has recently been spending time at one of the kennel representatives home.

I was wondering if anyone has any opinion on whether or not I should crate him at night by the bed? I was thinking he could just sleep on a dog bed at the foot of the bed. We have a small room and we always keep the door shut. But then I have a friend who told me that dogs should be crated at night -- it makes them feel safer.

I want him to feel secure, especially since he will be in a new home.

Any opinions on this? Thank you!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
It really depends on the dog.

If the dog you are getting is already crate trained, having a crate may make the transition to his new home a lot easier and less stressful for him. He may feel more comfortable and more safe in the crate while you are asleep and when you are not home.

If he has grown up in a kennel, there is also a chance that he may not be able to be trusted loose in the house when he is not supervised, so that would be something else to consider.

If he has not been crate trained, a crate might add to his stress and make him feel confined or trapped.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
For me, a new adult in my home would be crated a lot for at least the first week. He can just observe what "normal" life is in my home and have his own space while doing so. Then, he can slowly earn his freedom... on leash. That way you avoid any negative early interaction between you and can bond.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I agree with historian's view on this. It depends on the dog and what he's used to.

If already crate trained, it's perfect to use in a new house/situation because it's a safe lair to help him settle in quicker.

But if never crate trained, and already dependable loose in the house and with a dog bed, I don't know if I would bother necessarily.

Though, generally, it's good to see how all our dogs will do in a crate if needed. Such a help while traveling with our dogs, many crate in the car for safety, as well as preparing for any future vet visits that you may have to leave your dog for medical attention.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I adopted my GSD at 3.5 years and don't crate her at night. She's always slept in our room. We have three dog beds on the floor (two dogs now) and they sleep on those. We *sometimes* crate during the day and I keep her crate trained for shows and riding safely in the car.

You'll just have to feel out the situation when you get her and see what makes her most comfortable.

If you have other dogs, that will also make a difference. My GSD was my first dog, so I didn't have to do any crate and rotate with her. When we got Coke, we took Kenya to our bedroom and crated him, but he whined and cried so after 5 minutes we took him up to our room. I know, I gave in, I just don't have a lot of patience when I'm dead tired and the dog is waking the neighbors (I live in a duplex, so the house is shared). We took him into our room with Kenya the first night and they were fine. But then again....the only issues they ever had was right at the beginning if Coke got in Kenya's face. Since we have three beds (four if you count them getting on OUR bed) and two dogs there's no reason to fight or get in each other's space.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to everyone who responded! All information was helpful. I've inquired to the Breeder if Jack's been crate trained. Waiting to hear back. Thank you again everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts