German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shadow has been on First Mate kibble most of her life. I like the food, no problem there, but it is stupidly difficult to find retailers.
I am moving to Northern Ontario in a few months and I need a recommendation on a decent kibble that I will be able to get. I doubt shipping will be possible. Think likely a bit northeast of Timmins. Rural. Anyone familiar with the area, Cochrane, Iroquois Falls, Matheson, etc.
I want to start switching now so that I have her normal food as back up if we hit a reaction. I am trying Canadian Naturals right now, but I am not thrilled with the addition of rice to her diet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. (I will also need info about flea/tick repellants)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
We have been using Acana and really like it. She has been on it about a week now (home about a week) and the transition has been painless.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I know some really super people from Sudbury that are raw feeders .
They come down to my neck of the woods to buy high quality - grass fed meat , hormone and antibitiotic
free range chicken - frames for dogs.
The "menu" is extensive.

They could come down and pick up bulk orders and then you connect to make arrangements for pick up .

Sudbury to Timmins is about a 3 hour drive.

Timmins is also sled-dog central -- so lots of possibilities there for sourcing out dog food.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input @carmspack. I never even thought about the sled dog community. I will see if I can get in contact with anyone and get some input.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sabis Mom, we live in a very remote location, (an island off the north coast of Newfoundland) and getting supplies can be a real challenge. But our vet told us great things about "Actrium Holistic Large Breed Adult" dog food, which is considered to be of premium quality, made by Elmira Pet Products in Ontario and sold exclusively through Walmart Canada. We are able to order online from Walmart.ca, and it comes right to our door... a large order weighing almost 200 lbs has only a $10 shipping fee. (even when it involves two ferry crossings!) Both of our dogs are thriving on this kibble, which we mix with Pedigree's "Choice Cuts" canned. (which we also order right from Walmart.ca) Actrium Holistic is priced very reasonably, at just $39 for a 16 kg (35 lb) bag. You may want to look into this, although it does also contain brown rice. You can read many positive customer reviews on the store's website, and it is rated at 4.8/5 stars. Here is the link:

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/actr1um-holistic-large-breed-adult-dog-16kg/1455222100208

DESCRIPTION & FEATURES:

ACTR1UM Holistic large breed adult dog food is an exclusive premium quality food specifically developed to provide the ultimate care for your large breed dog. ACTR1UM Holistic Large Breed Adult Dog Food does not contain corn, wheat, by-products, colours, fillers or artificial preservatives.

• No corn, wheat, by-products, colours, fillers or artificial preservatives
• Larger kibble size helps control eating while added probiotics and chelated minerals support maximum digestion and absorption
• Reduced calorie content and premium quality nutritional ingredients minimize the tendency for weight gain in large breed dogs
• Chicken cartilage, a natural source of glucosamine, as well as yucca schidigera and select herbs encourage optimal joint health and mobility
• Flaxseed and salmon oil, rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acids, strengthen immunity and support healthy skin & coat
• Made with the highest quality vegetables, fruits and herbs including tomatoes, pears and cinnamon
• 100% complete and balanced nutrition, no supplements needed
• Proudly made in Canada

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

1 - 6 of 6 Posts