German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks:

(Mal question, not GSD) My husband and I adopted a 6 yr old Belgian Malinois two weeks ago from the breeder who we've gotten two amazing GSDs from. Trinity was going to be the mom of our next pup, but the breeder decided he was "too old" and wanted to find her a good home. Since he knew us and how we are with our animals, he asked if we'd adopt her. We jumped at the chance provided she and our 6 yr old GSD got along.

Ok.... fast forward: Trinity is a sweet, obedient, 6 yr old. She hasn't been spayed as yet; we've wanted her to settle into her new life before a traumatic surgery. Since she was going to be a breeding bitch, she is titled in Agility and Schutzhund, and has never been a "pet." Having said all that: she is very obedient, yet she has a quirk that is driving me batty. She'll be in a down/stay, but after a few minutes she wants to be in my lap, or pawing at me, licking my face, and just wanting *affection.* (I'm not sure if *she* wants attention, or if she's dying to give *me* affection!!)

She's fine going into her crate, but I want her to stay with us when we're around. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
She might be craving affection, especially now that she is a pet. I would give her LOTS, but on your terms and not when she is being impolite.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
also, you've only had her 2 weeks. She isn't in her comfort zone with you yet. What she is doing is a submissive gesture and insecurity. I would talk to the breeder about this and get some advice from them as I assume they've been working her for the last few years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts