German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start by saying we joke that Abigail is part cat. You have to at times convince her to come to you, as she'll at times look at you like "hmmm, I'm not sure I want to." She's 11 1/2 weeks and otherwise very smart. She's learning the basics quickly, house training, you name it. Even her biting she's doing amazing and has quickly learned her place in our "pack."
Any techniques to work with her listening to the come command? She does acknowledge we're trying to get her to come, she's just choosing to refuse us. Treats aren't a big deal to her, she's not very food driven unfortunately.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sometimes if it is a really good treat, like turkey or a toy. She still is young, so I would have her on her lead when teaching come, so you can bring her forward and then treat. This way she does not get to chose to ignore you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently we do not allow her off leash outdoors and have a 20ft training lead. If you're excited you can often get her to come, but otherwise she's a picky girly. We've tried treats and toys, but again, you have to show extra excitement.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
For the time being, I would stop using the 'come' command. Instead, say her name, start jogging the other way. Once she gets to you, throw a party - yeah that extra excitement :) . Once you are able to stay in position without jogging and she is reliable coming to you, add the command. You may have to regress a step or to with jogging the other way until she gets the idea this is the same party time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts