German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I hope this is the correct place for my query, I have only just joined the forum.

I have a GSD male who has just turned one year old. He is bursting with health and energy and is a fabulous dog in every way.

I am careful with his weight, he is lean and very active - I feed him a fairly new British food called Eden, which is rated as very similar to Orijen nutritionally.

As he has grown, I notice that he has a very deep, broad chest, but that his rear half - over the back, and the back legs, especially the thighs, seem not in proportion. They seem much thinner and lacking in muscle tone.

He has plenty of free running excercise and can gallop at great pace and speed, - there is no weakness to be observed - but I am worried about this discrepancy.

Is it normal for a young dog to be thinner in the back end, will he fill out over time, or is it something I should be concerned about? As I say, his front half is strong and powerful, with a very deep chest.

Thanking you all in advance for any advice,

Alison

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
It is normal, but I'd still try to build muscle in the rear...swimming and hill climbing will help. You could go diagonal each way for climbing as well as straight up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One Year Old GSDThin At Back End

Thank you for your reply Onyx'Girl.
My other dog, a Lab, swims all the time in the sea, but Seitheach, my GSD, won't go out of his depth, although I encourage him. He gets so annoyed, seeing Polly swim out for the ball, and jumps around in the shallows, woofing in frustration!
I will try climbing, but we do live in a fairly flat landscape - there are some sand dunes at the beach though which we could try - sorry, not quite sure what you mean by "diagonal" - is that just literally having him run up a hill in a diagonal fashion (sorry, just a bit uncertain?)

Thanks

Alison

·
Registered
27,271 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hi, So sorry,I haven't got a clue how to post a photo, will need to wait for technical assistance!!!!! - coming soon, hopefully! Tragic technophobe, that's me :)

But do you mean a pic showing the thinner rear end, or just a general pic? As he is quite long haired, it would be difficult to see what I have described in a photo. I will try if you think it would be useful.

Onyx' Girl, you kindly replied and said this is normal, but is that normal for all young GSDs, or do you mean normal for those with possible hip / growth problems - which I believe, from my reading, are almost considered "normal' in GSDs generally, sad to say!

Is that big bulky front, and scrawny rear end very common generally, is it a growth stage, or is it possibly indicative of a long term problem, perhaps derived of poor breeding?

I would really like to know if this is something significant, that I should be concerned about or not.

Thanks for any advice

Alison

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hi, here's a pic of my pups - a little out of date - Seitheach is about 6 months old here. Hope it works!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts