German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a few questions, we pick up our little girl next Saturday :wub:

She will be 9.5 weeks old.

1. We have a 3 year old. Of course his safety, and puppy's, is of the utmost importance. They will be supervised for obvious reasons, but how do I handle biting? I want to teach bite inhibition, and I have read the sticky about it, and the links, and I think I have a handle on how to deal/teach for the rest of the family, but the 3 year old doesn't understand that part yet. Been a long time since we have had a puppy, so I can't remember, are they bitey/mouthy all the time? If not, do I just remove the toddler when biting starts? I want to have a plan, so I don't do the wrong thing when the time comes.

2. Our big crate isn't here yet, and I'm not sure it's going to make it before puppy arrives. (I ordered a 48" with a divider) Am I going to confuse puppy by using a smaller kennel until the big one arrives?

3. Training...obviously potty training right away, but there is so much conflicting info about other training. What order is best to train the basics...sit, heel, stay, lay down, etc? Can I start that right away while we are working on potty training, or will she been too young/too much too soon? I plan to use clicker training.

4. I have: food (raw and will be getting some of the breeder's kibble for transition), harnesses/leash, water bowl, Kongs, JW's Ho-lee Roller ball, tennis balls, kennel for bringing her home, clickers, miscellaneous toys, treats for training, slicker brush, undercoat rake, Vibactra and Parvaid. She has a vet appointment scheduled on Monday (2 days after we pick her up). Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
27,261 Posts
1. most older dogs give puppy's a 'pass' and teach them manners and bite inhibition way better than we can. If the older dog gets overly annoyed, remove the pup for a cool down.Edit: 3 yr old I assumed was another dog, lol!
2. I bought a small varikennel on CL(disinfected it big time) and used it til pup outgrew it, then resold it for the same price on CL.
3. Restrained recalls are the most important thing when training a pup. Do them every training session!
Where ever you want pup to 'go outside or potty' teach that place from the get go and use the key word consistently, dogs are habitual and continue to go where they started early on. If you have a desired spot, use it right when puppy comes home.
4. No to tennis balls, IMO, make sure whatever toys you have aren't choking hazards, and when pup grows, remove the smaller toys. You'll need some fresh raw knucklebones(soup bones) for chewing.

When you go to the breeder bring along a crate pad or towel and let the other pups and mom(tug) play on it so their scent is strong. When pup comes home, use that pad in the crate for the first few nights and put the crate next to your bed so you can comfort pup and be alerted to potty time. Congrats, exciting times for you!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
1. Remove the puppy to play with a toy or engage in training with you, or remove the child. Lots of training and focus on you near the child is great!

2. No you will not confuse the puppy at all.

3. I start with house training, clicker intro w/ their name, sit, come, engaging with me with a tug toy, out (drop it), and foundations for heelwork right away... all at once, very short sessions throughout the day! The first few days to week or so you will get little done because she will not be in the right mindset (usually) to start working and learning.

4. You're missing your camera, ear plugs, enzymatic cleaner, paper towels, tug toys, kong filling, and a few other random chews. ;) Make sure your training treats are wet/moist and very smelly and small!

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
1. most older dogs give puppy's a 'pass' and teach them manners and bite inhibition way better than we can. If the older dog gets overly annoyed, remove the pup for a cool down.
I think this is a human, Jane! :p

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even though I'm sure he's part demon, the 3 yr old is definitely a human ;-)

What enzyme cleaner do you folks recommend? It's on my shopping list for this week. The Bissell SpotBot I bought specifically for demon and puppy training came yesterday, yay! (I think I must be crazy, potty training both at once...aack!)

The kennel I'm using til her crate gets here is pretty much brand new. I bought it last month for my parrot to travel from Texas to Colorado, since she chewed through her other one during the last move, so no worries about disease or anything. I will look up restrained recalls, I assume that's on a leash or a training lead. We do have a spot for her to potty picked out, and I will make sure everyone else goes in and out before her.

Supervised play with the tennis balls is a no-go? I plan to pick up some bully sticks when I finally make it to a pet store. I want to see how bad they smell before I order them in bulk. The no-odor ones are made in Brazil, and I would prefer to buy the USA ones, if the smell isn't beyond horrible LOL.

I have a Canon dSLR and several blank SDs cards for it, will take her to the basement to sleep if I need to, already buy paper towels by the case, have ground turkey and a yogurt recipe someone posted for the Kongs, and I mentioned the bully sticks above. What tug toys would you recommend? Do you have any videos/recommendations about how to play with it? (I know that sounds dumb, I've never actually bought a tug toy for a dog before.) For training treats, I picked up some Zuke's mini naturals, and made some treats out of chicken liver, eggs, and oatmeal that my other GSD positively loved, and I'm hopeful will be highly treasured by this little girl, as well.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
You're so on the right track!

I love natures miracle personally. It's most people's go to really.

Restrained recalls are done with two people, one restraining while the other calls the puppy and they get super amped up with drive to go to the other human just because they can't and are being "teased."

Bully sticks are a life saver!

I can post some good engagement videos tomorrow for tug play. I'm mobile right now, but maybe other people could help you in the meantime. :)

·
Registered
5,250 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! Mobile right now but will watch this evening. Is that just three strips of fleece braided and put through an Orbee ball?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Thank you! Mobile right now but will watch this evening. Is that just three strips of fleece braided and put through an Orbee ball?

It's a four strand braid. :) You could use any braid you want though. ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick question, how wide are the strips you're braiding? (Just watched a video on how to braid with 4, haven't done that since I was a kid LOL) If I didn't throw it away after we moved, I have probably 100 yards of fleece in the garage, so I'm going to start braiding today!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Quick question, how wide are the strips you're braiding? (Just watched a video on how to braid with 4, haven't done that since I was a kid LOL) If I didn't throw it away after we moved, I have probably 100 yards of fleece in the garage, so I'm going to start braiding today!
I use 1.5-2" pieces, and sort of fold them around as I braid. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My daughter is braiding one right now, but didn't fold as she braided. We will try that with the next one, THANK YOU!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts