German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My male pulled a groin muscle lightly back in February (I think). He was hopping a tad on that side after strenuous exercise once or twice- when extending his back leg manually his illiopsoas would quiver-- VERY inflexible. This is not a dog that ever stretches himself so he's always been wound up. Did crate rest for a month, we also worked on hip stretches and strengthening exercises...slowly. All good. A lot of mornings he even stretches himself (can't believe I had to teach that ) . We have a warm up before all ball play, walks and stretches . Most days he's loose.

Anyway, some days he doesn't want me to extend his back legs. Partially, he just hates being manipulated and is amped because it's a precursor to ball play . I haven't noticed a pattern if it's after particularly active days or not seems more his mood , it may be just him flat out resisting. Definitely some tighter days than others though.

The concerning thing to me is on one side (the side he limped on in Feb for a day) , sometimes when he lifts his leg to pee and that leg is supporting his weight , he sinks down. It never happens with the other side. It looks like he can't hold himself up fully some days ..like it collapses .

Anyone experienced this ? Worried about possible knee issue maybe . He has muscular legs and doesn't seem atrophied on one side or anything. Did hips at a year (he's 2 now ) prelim OFA good

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add. He's one of those nutcase dogs determined to break himself . He goes balls to the wall all the time so I have to be a bit careful , but many times he's dove, slid , rolled , ran into things to get his ball. So I am always super concerned about injury .

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Might be worth having that knee checked out. A thorough exam and drawer test may give you some idea of what's going on. I've had one with a ccl injury and another with a groin pull, both moved about similarly due to their injury, hard for me to tell the difference.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I agree with Nigel.....have him checked by your Vet.....IMO he's way too young for on going issues like he's having

1 - 4 of 4 Posts