German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone knew of a supplement that contained support for both skin and joints in one pill/powder? Ellie seems to be pretty picky about what she will and will not take and I don't want to force a pill on her or have to buy those Greenies all the time. I give her some plain yogurt in her food every day and was giving her some safflower oil as well, but she's decided she doesn't like that anymore. I've tried fish oil before and she turns her nose up at that after a while too. She's not very food motivated either so if I try to hide her pills in anything other than a Greenie she won't take it. With the Greenie she sometimes takes out the pill and eats the Greenie. Smart dog! Just thought if there was one that was combined it would be less she would have to take. She is 11.5 yrs old and I feed her Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato - which she is also not loving anymore. It's a good thing she's so **** cute! Thoughts? Or at least recommendations for a yummy tasting supplement?:help:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at Nupro, but it looked like I would need to give her a lot of it and I didn't see where it would help her skin. What's in it for that?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
With the fish oil-- have you tried poking a hole in the pill with a pin and squirting it on her food? Fish oil is awesome for skin, coat, and joints; not to mention cardiovascular and brain health.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the fish oil-- have you tried poking a hole in the pill with a pin and squirting it on her food? Fish oil is awesome for skin, coat, and joints; not to mention cardiovascular and brain health.
The oil I used wasn't in a capsule, it was in a bottle. She liked it for a couple of days and then wouldn't touch it. Maybe it was a bad batch?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
The oil I used wasn't in a capsule, it was in a bottle. She liked it for a couple of days and then wouldn't touch it. Maybe it was a bad batch?
I dunno, the bottled stuff can get rancid pretty quickly. Did you have it refrigerated?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I refrigerated it. Maybe it was because it was cold? A friend of mine just brought me over a Dasuquin to try (large dog formula with MSM). I had tried this before, but she wouldn't take them. The ones my friend just got are a new liver flavor and she ate it right up! Maybe I'll get a small bottle of that to try for a while. Now, I still need something for her skin.....She gets the winter itchies so I don't want to go without anything for long.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I looked at Nupro, but it looked like I would need to give her a lot of it and I didn't see where it would help her skin. What's in it for that?
Flax, Zinc (from Kelp), yeast & lecithin. Flax works just as well for skin & coat as fish oil. You can't go wrong with Nupro because it also has enzymes & probiotics and it is also balanced.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Flax, Zinc (from Kelp), yeast & lecithin. Flax works just as well for skin & coat as fish oil. You can't go wrong with Nupro because it also has enzymes & probiotics and it is also balanced.
Oh, I didn't know there was a therapeutic amount in there. So is the Silver formula just the Gold formula with glucosamine/msm added in? If that's the case I'll give it a try. Maybe I can get a small container of it to see if she'll eat it.

I was just looking at their website again. I was under the impression that Ellie needed more than 1000mg of glucosamine a day, like 1500mg. According to Nupro the loading dose for her is 1000mg and then would drop to 500mg/day. Is this right?

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Love the expression on my dog's face when she bites into the fish oil gelcap. But comes looking for it every day. I just put it on the table and she grabs it. :eek:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Check springtimeinc.com. We use Joint Health and Fresh Factors. It comes as a combo in Longevity, but my dogs won't eat the granules.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I give my dogs Fish oil pills and i cover them in a little bit of peanut butter :)

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Oh, I didn't know there was a therapeutic amount in there. So is the Silver formula just the Gold formula with glucosamine/msm added in? If that's the case I'll give it a try. Maybe I can get a small container of it to see if she'll eat it.

I was just looking at their website again. I was under the impression that Ellie needed more than 1000mg of glucosamine a day, like 1500mg. According to Nupro the loading dose for her is 1000mg and then would drop to 500mg/day. Is this right?
I would chat with your vet or Nupro about the dose. I don't think there is a right answer. I will tell you she will eat whatever you put Nupro on. Yes the Silver has the Glucosamine.

There are some very good Joint & Skin kibbles for older dogs out there as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts