German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this article is pretty good. Those of us who have been around our beloved dogs will most likely read this nodding our heads thinking, "yes, yes". This is a very good article to share with someone newer who may be thinking "but it's a German Shepherd. I thought all German Shepherds were like........."

a guide to dog personalities

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
What an interesting article!A good introduction to temperament types and very well written.Working with the dog in front of you at that moment in time is an excellent thing to keep in mind.

·
Registered
262 Posts
"The Aloof personality is less social and can get nervous and defensive if pushed."

I would say that a lot or majority of GSD are "aloof" and is actually a hallmark of the breed. Contrary to my current older male, they generally don't seek affection from strangers or make great shows of eagerness to be approached or pet from anyone outside their family or well known visitors.

But I have personally never seen them get nervous or defensive if pushed. On the contrary, the naturally aloof GSD is confident and stands their ground if pushed (not to be confused with aggressive)

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
this article is pretty good. Those of us who have been around our beloved dogs will most likely read this nodding our heads thinking, "yes, yes". This is a very good article to share with someone newer who may be thinking "but it's a German Shepherd. I thought all German Shepherds were like........."

a guide to dog personalities
It's a great article, but I think a lot of folks are going to stumble over the difference in personality types vs personality traits.
Both Sabs and Bud were leader types but it played out in hugely different ways. One was constantly challenging, one less so.
Shadow is definitely the shy type but with a serious defensive edge. Brig was the shy type as well but much more likely to hide then fight.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Definitely interesting. Not sure about Steel. He was tough for me to train at the start since he was so different than Katsu (total follower type - to the point of annoying lol). I'd like to peg him as Leader but I'm not sure. I remember complaining to my breeder that he didn't like me and that we weren't a team. Her response was, "you learn what you don't know with your second dog." I'd like to think I've got him figured out now, or at least partially.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
The article is well written, and good info, I thought. Sure it's broad strokes, and it is a little more complicated as types are often a majority of one type sprinkled with a lower percentage of one or more others. But great reading and a good place to start, thanks for sharing!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts