German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought home my new puppy 15 days ago and I gave her a fat bully stick that is pretty much all their but the pig ear I gave her 15 days she has just finished. Wish they all lasted that long...:grin2:

I also own a 5 year old who is doing so much to help me out. She is what I call a freak of nature. Not many like her.. Day one when I threw down the pig ear and bully stick on the floor my 5 year old picked each one up one time thinking I love these things. I told her no those are for the puppy, and they have been on the floor for 15 days and nights UNTOUCHED...:grin2:

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Watch the pig ears -- they are extremely fatty and can cause pancreatitis in the wrong dog:

https://www.canadianveterinarians.net/documents/pig-s-ears-not-recommended-for-dogs

Cow ears have less fat, but I'd avoid the bleached (white) ones due to the chemicals used in the bleaching process.

Is there a reason the older dog couldn't enjoy a special treat too?
NOPE.. :grin2: I actually gave her 1 today but I am not big on pig ears as treats. Cali my 5 year old does have a touchy tummy so I watch what I give her.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My 5-month old puppy seems to get bored with chewy treats. She sniffed out a Pig's Ear that was at the bottom of some old toys my prior dog had outgrown. That was a surprise to me. It held her attention for one day and that was it. After I purchased some fresh Pig Ears, she lost interest.

Not sure why, but little miss Cassie seems to get bored with most long-term chew items. Bully Bones held her attention for awhile. Tried the curly Bully Bones - she lost interest in those as well.

I thought I'd try peanut butter and stuff it in chew toys with cavities. I discovered she doesn't like peanut butter.

I'm currently at a bit of a loss for some chew product that could occupy some of her time. She loves Chicken or Duck Jerky, stuffed in some Kong Toys, or Pupperoni, but she gets the treats out in about 5 minutes. It's about the same with an interactive maze. With the maze, if she doesn't get the treats out fast enough, she just picks up the maze and turns it upside down.

I wish Cassie would chew on a Bully Bone, like an all-day sucker, maybe I can hope. My prior dogs went through phases with certain chew treats. They liked them, until they didn't.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I give Mei a pig ear every couple weeks. She now goes through it in like 10 minutes. My go to are the bully sticks though. When she was a lot younger one stick could last days but now she'll finish a 12" stick in like 15 minutes...

If you find something safe/healthy they can chew on that will last them an hour or so, let me know!!

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 5-month old puppy seems to get bored with chewy treats. She sniffed out a Pig's Ear that was at the bottom of some old toys my prior dog had outgrown. That was a surprise to me. It held her attention for one day and that was it. After I purchased some fresh Pig Ears, she lost interest.

Not sure why, but little miss Cassie seems to get bored with most long-term chew items. Bully Bones held her attention for awhile. Tried the curly Bully Bones - she lost interest in those as well.

I thought I'd try peanut butter and stuff it in chew toys with cavities. I discovered she doesn't like peanut butter.

I'm currently at a bit of a loss for some chew product that could occupy some of her time. She loves Chicken or Duck Jerky, stuffed in some Kong Toys, or Pupperoni, but she gets the treats out in about 5 minutes. It's about the same with an interactive maze. With the maze, if she doesn't get the treats out fast enough, she just picks up the maze and turns it upside down.

I wish Cassie would chew on a Bully Bone, like an all-day sucker, maybe I can hope. My prior dogs went through phases with certain chew treats. They liked them, until they didn't.
Be careful with some of the things you are stuffing in those toys please. I can't imagine pupperoni is a healthy choice...:grin2:

I like the thick bullies at least they last a little longer and maybe even help clean their teeth.:wink2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Watch the pig ears -- they are extremely fatty and can cause pancreatitis in the wrong dog:

Cow ears have less fat, but I'd avoid the bleached (white) ones due to the chemicals used in the bleaching process.
Do cow ears have the same likelihood of salmonella?

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Do cow ears have the same likelihood of salmonella?
Probably. Bully sticks and all that surely do too. If it's just dried raw animal parts...probably yes.

I don't worry about my dog getting salmonella -- he's partially raw fed, so it's just one of those risks I learned to shrug off as we don't feed HPP meat. He gets air-dried green tripe strips, dried lung, and dried liver for treats too, and none of that's been heated high enough to sanitize it either. With a very young, very old, or immuno-compromised dog, the risk would be higher, and I might make a different choice.

I do worry about humans picking up salmonella from the dog food, so we practice good hygiene after handling dog stuff -- sanitize counters, good 30-second hand washing, etc. I also don't let that dog give me kisses.

FWIW, kibble sometimes has salmonella in it too, so hands should be washed even after scooping that out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts