German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new to this forum and I have a question that is stumping me and I'm unsure where to post it.

So my girlfriend and our two sons and I got a beautiful German Shepherd named Harley from a friend of ours. He is a well mannered two year old.

We've had him for about a week and my issue is this - I am the one who always feeds him, walks him, teaches him (previous owner only worked with behavior, he didn't even know basic commands!) Ect.
When its just me and Harley, he listens well, learns quickly and is very well behaved, he shows signs of submission (head down, slight tail wag, always walks behind me, waits for me to initiate feeding and play, does things I've taught him this week such as recall, sit, lay down)
My point is, I am his master when alone with him, but when my girlfriend is around, Harley will only come to her, only listens to her, ect.
This wouldn't be much of a problem, but my girlfriend really isn't interested in training him or the full responsibility of Harley as far as walking him and keeping consistent meal times.

Is Harley a one person kind of dog? Or am I doing something wrong? I love playing with him and teaching him, but I can't do anything with him when she's around because he won't listen.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
You've only had the pup at your home for one week? I think it's too early to start making assumptions. It usually takes a new rescue/rehome about a month to settle in behaviorally. This also means solidifying commands (that sometimes takes years. lol ;))

I've never done the two-week shutdown but a lot of people claim it's a good way to start a relationship with a new, older dog; maybe you can look into it?

Both my pups tend to favor my husband when he comes home even though I feed them, spend more time with them and train them. I think it's the novelty of a 'newer' person entering the situation.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I agree with Zeeva about the novelty of a new person. Also, it has only been a week and Harley is insecure. He doesn't know that you will keep him so he charms a new person thinking he will have a new owner again. Try not to let it bother you. If Harley senses that he will become anxious and give her more attention. Instead, keep the training for when you two are alone. As you get to know Harley, find out what he enjoys doing - fetch, tug, going walks, and what his favorite treats are. This will help you to form a bond. It may also help to look on the bright side - better he likes your girlfriend then doesn't. I have read some threads on that and isn't fun.

·
Registered
383 Posts
In the first place it is definitely too early to place a judgement like that on him. But if he continues to do so u have got to be persistent in showing that he has to listen to both, or at least try to show him that you are in charge even if your girlfriend is around. I faced that situation too with my puppy and brother. I was apparently being too soft with her especially when she disobeys me so once when she misbehaved during a leashed walk just because my brother was walking behind I forcefully dragged her a long everytime she stopped to look at him (I have a choke chain and I do not misuse it). I have seen changes in her ever since because she realised that I am too in control.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts