German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zoe is a healthy 1.5 yo and has been on Victor Hi-Pro Plus for about 6 months now. I feed her twice a day but she has never been a big fan of breakfast. She always gets some sort of topping with her meals - stella and chewys patties or some wet food all mixed with a but of water.
Lately she has been skipping her breakfast all together. If I leave her food there she will eat it throughout the day, sometimes finishing it only around 2pm! If I take it out she doesn't seem to care.
She is always starving at dinner time, even when she eats her breakfast.
I'm thinking she's just not hungry in the morning and maybe I should just switch to a single larger meal.
Wanted to check what you guys think and what has been your experiences with a single meal. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
My past experience with feeding one large evening meal resulted in dogs that routinely threw up yellow bile at various times of the day. Feeding twice a day or free feeding resolves the issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My past experience with feeding one large evening meal resulted in dogs that routinely threw up yellow bile at various times of the day. Feeding twice a day or free feeding resolves the issue.
What do you mean by free feading? Just leaving the food out? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
My dogs skip breakfast everyday too but since they have free feeding... they usually eat in the evening and at night.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Do you walk her (or some kind of minor activity) before she eats breakfast? I've read and been told by some people that sometimes a dog needs a little time to "wake up" their system. I don't know how true that is but even for me, I don't want to eat right after I wakeup. It's like they need to "work up their appetite." My first dog was somewhat like that too. He would finish his breakfast if we walked before. If we didn't, I'd have to put in some "toppings" like canned food, chicken broth, pieces of chicken, or whatever is available.

Another reason could be that your dog is just not that into Victor. It's a possibility. Mine loves Victor, however, his sister doesn't.

You said that at dinner your dog is starving. Same here. With both my GSDs, around an hour before dinner, they're going bonkers. They're barking at us. They're whining. They're jumping on us. They're doing zoomies. Whatever. Once they eat, they're back to their normal self. They just work up their appetites all day.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
What do you mean by free feading? Just leaving the food out? Thanks!
Yes, I put their daily ration in their bowls in the morning and they eat when they want. Sometimes they finish and are still hungry later in the day so I will give them more.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Mine does that if I don’t give him some food during the day. I’ve read it’s common in high metabolism dogs.

But it was on the internet so.... lol

(Being serious it was on a reputable Malinois breeders website, no idea of her qualifications beyond that)

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Mine does that if I don’t give him some food during the day. I’ve read it’s common in high metabolism dogs.

But it was on the internet so.... lol

(Being serious it was on a reputable Malinois breeders website, no idea of her qualifications beyond that)
I did not know it was linked to high metabolism. Sometimes my schedule is busy and they don't get fed until later. It does seem that it is always the same dogs with the issue. Thanks for sharing that!

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
all my life I fed my dogs once a day in the early afternoons. It wasn't until I got my first GSD pup and that I fed breakfast. Now mine get a very small breakfast, a bit of apple reward for morning scent work, a boiled egg and a little kibble. Sometimes my big-boy will skip breakfast but not often. Then the dogs get healthy treats for activities throughout the day and then a decent dinner.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zoe does get her morning exercise before breakfast, don't think its exercise related. And even her breakfast gets toppings. If I keep telling her to eat she will finish it at some point in the morning but if I'm topping her food with some raw patties I don't want to leave it out the whole day.
I think she's really not that into eating early. But dinner, I feel I could feed her 10 bowls and she would inhale that down!

I think I'm going to try rotating her kibble to something else. She might be a bit tired of Victor.

Thanks for your comments guys!

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I have only free fed my rescues. I stopped when my older dog now was a rescue puppy and scarfed through her food immediately and any other food in reach.

·
Registered
965 Posts
As a child, our family dogs were always fed once a day -- usually right after the humans had dinner. As often seems to be the case, none 'suffered' from that feeding schedule. My best guess is that as dogs are adaptable critters, they simply did.

Personally, I don't care for free feeding. I want to know what's going on with their eating/elimination patterns and I've found that to be a challenge with a free-feed routine. YMMV. With my own dogs, I've always fed adults 2x daily; puppies are fed 3-4 times daily until they're older. No data to support this view, but I've done so in the belief that it's easier on the dog's gastric system (and more comfortable for them) to handle 2 or 3 smaller meals, over 24 hours, than it is to handle one big meal. It's also easier, I've found, to house train puppies this way because you're following a predictable schedule.

I like to keep my dogs somewhat lean, so I'm generally not feeding the manufacturer's daily recommendation for a kibble base. I can always adjust portions depending on the dog's condition, energy levels, etc. Perhaps in consequence, dogs are always excited when I start prepping AM/PM meals and they clean everything up quickly. Some of this is early training: They learn that they have 15-20 minutes to finish a meal or I'll remove the dishes and any leftovers.

At base, it strikes me that one has to follow a feeding routine that works for the owner and a particular dog. All of this this to say, YMMV...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts