German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, our 3.5 months puppy is skipping some breakfast meals. When we talked to breeder she asked us to feed him just once a day. Is that ok for a puppy this age to eat once a day? He is raw fed and usually eats 2lbs a day split into twice. Can he eat 2lbs in one meal? He is active healthy and looks good weight wise. TIA

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
kibble fed dogs generally require at least 3 meals a day at this age. since raw gets digested so much faster... i’d think if anything he’d need more frequent meals, not less. 2lbs is also quite a lot of food for a single sitting.

my raw fed adult eats 2-3x a day (with one feeding being a snack, especially on really active days) just for reference.... otherwise his stomach cramps and gurgles.

edit: perhaps shift the times that you’re feeding him... or see if he’d be more interested in a different protein.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kibble fed dogs generally require at least 3 meals a day at this age. since raw gets digested so much faster... i’d think if anything he’d need more frequent meals, not less. 2lbs is also quite a lot of food for a single sitting.

my raw fed adult eats 2-3x a day (with one feeding being a snack, especially on really active days) just for reference.... otherwise his stomach cramps and gurgles.

edit: perhaps shift the times that you’re feeding him... or see if he’d be more interested in a different protein.
Thank you. I will try changing the feeding times. He now eats at 9am and 6pm. We do rotate protiens. He gets beef, chicken and venison and he likes all of them same.

·
Registered
245 Posts
For what it's worth, from the age of 4 months when I got my pup, she would refuse all meals, except for the evening meal. Try as I might, I couldn't get her to eat the other meals, even though they were the same.

She was more content with eating one big meal, rather than several smaller meals; not ideal, I know.

Never come across it in any of my previous dogs, so was a bit surprised to read that another pup is doing this.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,348 Posts
I feed raw and I always fed 3x day at that age.

Are you feeding a commercial food? If homemade, what are you doing for bone?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For what it's worth, from the age of 4 months when I got my pup, she would refuse all meals, except for the evening meal. Try as I might, I couldn't get her to eat the other meals, even though they were the same.

She was more content with eating one big meal, rather than several smaller meals; not ideal, I know.

Never come across it in any of my previous dogs, so was a bit surprised to read that another pup is doing this.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Even our precious GSD is same thing. He wants to eat once a day. He was 97lbs and used to eat 2.66lbs day in one meal. Never has any issues with bloating or anything. I'm surprised even this new pup is acting the same. Breeder told me feed him as much as he eats in 15 minutes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feed raw and I always fed 3x day at that age.

Are you feeding a commercial food? If homemade, what are you doing for bone?
Hi Jax08, I feed him tefco performance as main base and add different proteins from blue ridge beef. They are 80-10-10! He likes the food he just dont want to eat twice a day everyday. He doesnt look underweight either!

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Great looking dog.
My 6 year old still eats twice a day, maybe 3 cups quality kibble total
My 6 month old still eats 3X a day for now, 7.5 cups quality kibble total. I thought that was a lot but he's a huge pup (70 pounds, just turned 6 months)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rado is 15 weeks and 35lbs. He eats 2lbs raw meat a day. He did eat his breakfast good yesterday and today. I hope this continues. I like the idea of feeding twice a day at least.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts