German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
What an adorable puppy! Enjoy this stage and take lots of pictures. I'm not sure there is a normal age for ears to go up. It varies. It's normal for the ears to go up and down until puppies are done teething.

·
Registered
131 Posts
We had 1 ear up at 3-4 months, and the other was 3-4 months behind. He has really BIG ears, as you can see in the avatar photo.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you and great to know! He is my first full-bodies GSD pup. So, I’m learning as I go. He is certainly keeping me on my toes. We have sit and down, however recall is still hit and miss mainly out of distraction.. and if the ears don’t go up until teething dear Lord, I feel like I have a while. He is the definition of “Land Shark” ?? Walking on a leash is going well, he stays right by my side and sits when we stop. Again, distractions are hard, but he’s 9 weeks so I totally get that.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Even if both ears come up now, they will just go back down when the pup starts to teethe. It takes several months, not weeks, for both ears to come up and stay up.

Relax, have lots of patience and enjoy your pup. It's waaaayyyyyyyyy too early to start worrying about ears. Give it another 6 months or so, at the least!

·
Registered
3 Posts
a happy puppy is a well trained family!

Hi there, couldnt agree more about the ears, TIME TIME. I'd be a little concerned about the missing fur on his nose? Such a cutie. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've had a puppy with ears that went up as early as 8-9 weeks. The others have been up by around week 14-16. Sometimes one ear comes up before the other. Some ears don't go up until after teething and sometimes they go up and down for a while. It's all normal. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to know!! I had no idea when they came up. I’m just enjoying my time with him. He is a trip! Perfect fit to the family.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love ponies- I double checked his nose after your comment. Must be the filter on the photo because he has hair all the way down to his nose.. it’s goes from light back to dark around his nose. Thanks for noticing tho, I definitely picked him up and inspected the crap out it lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
My current GSD's ears both stood up around 9 to 10 weeks old, but, she doesn't have huge ears. The bigger the ears the longer it might take to start standing. They will go up and down, don't worry too much until he hits around 5-6 months old or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts