German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to get some thoughts on whether you guys think GSD's can do well as a one dog pack. What I mean by this is when we got Stryder, we also had an older mix. They lived together for about 6 months and we had to have Arlo euthanized unexpectedly ( we knew it was coming, but we thought we had an extra year). We grieved and moved on and Stryder has done phenomenal (sp). I wanted to bring in another GSD within the next year, but quite frankly we are very busy. We get to work with Stryder ( obedience and soon agility) and we also walk him and hike with him and he is part of our pack. My question is, do you think that a GSD can do well being the only canine in the pack??

·
Registered
62 Posts
When we got Drago we still had Jolly (lab). We had to put Jolly down after a stroke. Drago was only 7 months at that time. We were thankful for the time Jolly was with us to help "teach" Drago.

Drago was just about 1 yr old when we were given Molly (a lab puppy from the shelter). We were just fostering Molly due to her being very fearful at the shelter. It turned out she was fine once she got out of the shelter. Drago has many joint problems and we found it was too hard on Drago to have Molly here. They played too much! A family with 2 6 yr old twins fell in love with Molly and Molly with them!

Once Drago was an only dog again things were much better for him and his joints. We have play dates with Molly and a couple of neighbor dogs so Drago gets doggy time.

SO saying all of that...........Drago does GREAT being an only dog. LOTS of walks, training, love,etc. It is up to YOU to make sure he gets what he needs/wants.

Good luck!

Kim

·
Registered
885 Posts
this is the first time we have had 2 big dogs, we had a yorkie years ago with our gsd..its a big difference, not sure if i would do it again, 1 is enough for me! i think they do fine alone!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i could be wrong but i think any dog can do well
in a single dog household. think about how many people
that only have one GSD. through socializing, training, feeding
and spending a lot of quality time with a dog i think
that makes a well rounded dog that has no problem
being the only dog.

if you think your leaving your dog alone to long
get a sitter or someone to come in and spend some time
with your dog. i never leave my dog longer than 4 hours
without having my neighbor come in and let him
out, treat him and spend some time with him.
i also have two dog sitters on hand that i can call
on if i need them.

Originally Posted By: StryderPup My question is, do you think that a GSD can do well being the only canine in the pack??

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, that makes me feel better. I know that we can see to his needs, but if we added another to the dynamic, I am not sure we would be able to give them enough time and energy. Do I think Stryder cares that he is a single canine? Not at all....but I just want to make sure his needs are met.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Quote: We get to work with Stryder ( obedience and soon agility) and we also walk him and hike with him and he is part of our pack.
Well, given the level of activity and involvement that you have with Stryder I would say that having a one dog pack will work very well for you and him as well. That's not to say that you couldn't add another dog down the road.

It sounds to me that any number of dogs would do well in your pack!!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Stark is a 'one dog pack' as well and I think it works based on the amount of activities I do with him.

I think that if he was a dog who was walked once a day and that was it, it wouldn't work as well.

But being that we are involved in a bunch of different actiivites it keeps him busy, mental stimulated and able to interact with other dogs on a regular basis.

I say, one is good for now for me.. never know what the future holds.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bianca has been an "only dog" for a year (since I got her, which was a year ago.) She has done well, although I think she would enjoy having another dog around. I try to get "play dates" with other dogs as much as possible, usually with my friend's teenaged Husky mix Calvin who does a great job at tiring Bianca out.
Sometimes I wonder if being an only dog with a bunch of cats in the house has made Bianca think she's a cat though! She acts like the cats sometimes. She even hissed at Calvin one day!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts