German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm somewhat new to the dog world, so please excuse my seemingly silly questions.

It appears as though this one dog absolutely loathes my dog, but is fine with other dogs. I've met this dog twice now, and both times he (gender unknown) became absolutely vicious towards Taedyn - baring teeth, snarling, growling, barking, muzzle completely wrinkled from nose to eyes. The works. This dog wants to tear Taedyn to pieces.

The second time I met the dog, I didn't recognize him. He was socializing nicely with other dogs, and I passed by with Taedyn on leash. He quickly approached her, snarling and barking once again!

How is it this dog can be socializing nicely with other dogs, while having a total aversion towards my dog?

The first time we met, he noticed us from quite a distance and immediately approached. I had Taedyn sit and stay while he approached for a greet. However, instead of greeting he stopped about 8' from us and started snarling, and then ran towards us fully meaning to fight.

I'm baffled as to why a dog would take offense to a sitting dog. Could Taedyn be giving off bad signals? She is tense around new dogs.

For my solution, I'm going to avoid all medium sized tan and white dogs from now on! The question I'm asking you guys is the dog psychology that will cause this sort of instant aggression to specific dogs.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
S/he may have had a bad encounter with another dog who looks like yours. Morgan was attacked as a puppy by a certain breed now she holds any dog that looks like that suspect.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Originally Posted By: SunCzarinaS/he may have had a bad encounter with another dog who looks like yours. Morgan was attacked as a puppy by a certain breed now she holds any dog that looks like that suspect.
and/or your dog looked at the other one the wrong way. That's all it may take to trigger a reactive dog.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
How does a dog aggressive dog (eg GSD)recognize a Chihuaha as a dog when he is in a car with windows rolled up.My dog hates black dogs/my dog hates ankle biters/my dog hates dogs that are NOT under control of their owners.I have NO idea what the reason is for dogs disliking "something'about another dog."I will admit I may never know and as owner of a reactive dog I need to make him absolutely responsive to me.I am maybe halfway there but I DO KNOW that certain things about certain strange dogs set him off .

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I don't know the answer to that one, but we have one dog in our neighborhood that hates Heidi and she hates him. When they see each other, even from across the street, they bark ferociously at each other, growl, bare their teeth, and lunge wildly. Supposedly, this dog gets along with all other dogs. Heidi is a bit dog reactive with certain dogs, but she has never had a reaction like this with any other dog. They've never even gotten very close to each other. Very weird...

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think there's some dogs that just have that trigger. Growing up a neighbor family had an awesome doberman...and he and my border collie *hated* each other that way. One gets within 100' of the other and there was going to be a fight.
And for my dog it was just that Doberman - and airdales. I don't know why - there was an airdale at 4-H class and my dog HATED him...I never saw the airdale do a mean thing to anyone - dog or human.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts