German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jax had an ear infection in his left ear, I treated that at home, right after, his right ear started, that had to go to the vet because I couldn'd get rid of that one and now that the right ear is almost healed with a week of Surolan, it's starting back in the left again!! :mad:
I've kept him away from water, clean them every day (I do the non-infected one first, wash my hands, then clean the infected one) and I don't think it's anything dietary... He has a stomach of steel so I can change his diet at the drop of a hat and I've tried a lot of things... He doesn't seem to allergic to anything. The yeast seems to improve a lot when I give him yogurt.
Should I just drop some Surolan and start treating both ears until it goes away?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
It's allergies. It could be environmental or food or both. Just because you're not seeing digestive problems doesn't mean he isn't allergic to something he's seeing. Ideally you want to figure out what he's allergic to and deal with that because as long as the allergen is there his system will continue to react to it (and he'll continue to have ear infections).

You can try adding buffered C to the diet. Start with a small amount and work up to 2000mg/day. C is a natural anti-histamine.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems carbs have been the culprit.
For two days I fed him just meat and he made a drastic improvement; today, just as a control, I fed him a grain free food with carbs... it's back within hours.
How long should I keep carbs out of his diet?

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Jax had an ear infection in his left ear, I treated that at home, right after, his right ear started, that had to go to the vet because I couldn'd get rid of that one and now that the right ear is almost healed with a week of Surolan, it's starting back in the left again!! :mad:
I've kept him away from water, clean them every day (I do the non-infected one first, wash my hands, then clean the infected one) and I don't think it's anything dietary... He has a stomach of steel so I can change his diet at the drop of a hat and I've tried a lot of things... He doesn't seem to allergic to anything. The yeast seems to improve a lot when I give him yogurt.
Should I just drop some Surolan and start treating both ears until it goes away?
What you are saying is impossible. The cultures in yogurt will just get digested and the numbers are not high enough to do any good. Moreover, the strains are all wrong for a dog.

Bifidobacterium thermophilum, Bifidobacterium longum, Enterococcus faecium, Bacillus subtilus are the ones you want but they must be in an enteric coating.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
It seems carbs have been the culprit.
For two days I fed him just meat and he made a drastic improvement; today, just as a control, I fed him a grain free food with carbs... it's back within hours.
How long should I keep carbs out of his diet?
Can you switch him to raw? IF you don't want to do DIY raw you can find preprepared mixes in your area. I've seen them at Global Pet.

Also, it's highly unlikely that he's allergic to all carbs. What is in his current food?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Also, probiotics do not need to be in an enteric coating. It is true that there is not enough in a small amount of yogurt to make any difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts