5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when my dog is lying down I step over her and just as I
step over her she stands up !! :eek: :eek:

What does YOUR dog do? :confused:

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
How many times has she tripped you? Wolfie puts his ball or a bone under the diningroom china cabinet on purpose. Then he sticks his legs under there and cries and moans until I lay on the floor and get it out for him. Then he takes advantage of the fact that I am on the floor. He steps on my back and pulls my hair.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I practice stepping over my dogs and having them 'stay' there! Part of all the rest of my training stuff.

Just have tons of treats and give your 'stay/wait' command and give out the treats as long as they are in place.

Reactions: goneridin2

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I practice stepping over my dogs and having them 'stay' there! Part of all the rest of my training stuff.

Just have tons of treats and give your 'stay/wait' command and give out the treats as long as they are in place.
We learned in obedience class how to do this. Wolfie doesn't move when I step over him, unless it's to give my ankle a passing nibble.

·
Registered
627 Posts
My mother's collie freaks out if you step over or near him when he's lying down. He also gets snappy if you try to touch him when he's lying down, which is how I got bit in the face. To prevent Freyja from picking up the same habit I purposely step over her when she's lying down. I also will lay down next to her and rest my head or my torso on her body so she gets used to the action. I started doing this to her from the first day I brought her home. I think that commanding her to stay, stepping over her and rewarding with a treat is the best way to go.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, I didn't post this to get a lesson, I posted it to get a LAFFFFFFF.
I know perfectly well how to stay my dog.
sheeeeesh

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
If I stepped over Sinister he would scramble to get away from me, he would probably think that I was going to attack him.

He is such a drama king! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to lecture you, I'm just a little sensitive on the issue.

·
Registered
319 Posts
How many times has she tripped you? Wolfie puts his ball or a bone under the diningroom china cabinet on purpose. Then he sticks his legs under there and cries and moans until I lay on the floor and get it out for him. Then he takes advantage of the fact that I am on the floor. He steps on my back and pulls my hair.

OMG :spittingcoffee:

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha, love it

Abby does that with balls too, thank goodness I don't have any hair. Then as soon as I squirm and get it she finds another place to 'lose' it. I think she has me trained to fetch. :D

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
When Hondo lays down, he is down for the count. I step over him and he remains down (even his head). But..let me screw up and step on his tail just one time ......

Hondo is a plopper - he likes being by us and he'll plop down and get comfy anywhere. I won't take that away from him.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Ace never moves he just lays there, one of these days I'm going to take for granted he will stay and I will be airborne. :)

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Both my dogs stay still. I've done a few things to make this happen though.

If they did get up, I would "mow through" and walk as I normally would and sort of push my feet through them. I also constantly walk up and then jump over. I think this jumping over gets them calmer with the rapid movement and much more "high energy" step over, and they thus are much calmer if I'm just walking.

Same thing if they get in the way of me walking, I walk right on through. I don't get out of the way of dogs, dogs get out of my way.

·
Registered
594 Posts
My rottie, Tori, will use my approach as an opportunity roll over on her back and wave all 4 paws in the air trying to scam a belly rub. Usually works!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
My rottie, Tori, will use my approach as an opportunity roll over on her back and wave all 4 paws in the air trying to scam a belly rub. Usually works!
YES!!! This is what happens at my house too. I get the velvet eyeball stare, a paw wave, an exposed belly... And if I keep on going without a belly rub, I get a big disappointed sigh. :(

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I tell dodger stay when I stopover him, if I don't well...it's all game lol.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We've only done that with the "wait" command. If either of our dogs are in our way, we make them get up and move. Stepping over your dog leads them to assume they have an alpha status (albeit, a small one).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts