German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, wife had to work overtime today leaving myself and Cruz who just turned 7 months a week ago to entertain each other. Started out with a flirtpole in the morning before it got to hot outside. That went well but he had a soft stool pretty much everytime he went today. I upped his food amount just yesterday and figure thats what did it. But he was in and out of the kennel all day also. We really couldn't do much because of the heat. So he was out inside the house and worked on some bones.

The worst was yet to come. My wife was late getting home and then found out that she was having trouble with her car tire. It according to her was comming apart. Car only has only 11k miles on it. I decided to try to get ther before the tow truck and have a look. It turned out she had parked on a crack filled with tar, alot of tar and it stuck to the tire making it look like it was comming apart. I pulled it off the tire and away we went home.

We decided we would take Cruz to the pet store to get him some new bones. He gets really excited when we get there to the point he tries to climb between the front seats for some reason. Usually we get him to sit and calm down then we go inside once he gets ahold of some self control. Well today, it just wasn't there. That coupled with my temper just escilated it out of control. We didn't even make it out of the car. As a rule if he doesn't calm down and mind, we go home. It got so bad I had to push him up against the back seat. It's never been that bad. I decided to drive around the back of the store and then back to the front just to give him a second chance at acting right. No avail. He was as bad as the first time. So we went back home. It really got bad because all the way back, a 10 minute drive, he was trying to get between the seats, relentlessly. My wife was trying to keep him back and he was nipping and barking at her and finally pinched her good a couple times. We finally got home and straight to the kennel he went. Needless to say, I was angry. I was choosing a few less than propper words as we went in. He new he was in trouble. Well a few minutes later, I let him out he ate dinner, went down chewed on a bone for awhile and we went on a walk. After the walk, he's gotten in the habit of going berzerk running and jumping. He started this outside while pottying and then he came at me which he has done before and got my whole forearm in his mouth breaking the skin very slightly. We come back in after a few more choice words, had some ice and I sat on the floor with him and he started licking my arm. Then to bed he went.

I'm at a loss here. He was doing so well. He recently has gotten back in the habit of nipping and biting. He's just playing as he could really do more damage if he wanted to. But he has also stopped listening to commands in situations. Just not paying any attention at all. We stopped treating him because of loose stools and it worked. But I'm going to have to start again I guess with a different brand. I used some hotdog tonight and it was like before he stopped listening. So were going to start by drilling him on commands every night. But it has really stressed my wife out. It's partly my fault with my temper. I don't hit or hurt but I do cuss and I have a voice that travels. Couple that with a strong headed dog and it gets either humorous or scary depending how you view it.

It was a cruddy day all around. He's only 7 months old but he's so big you forget he's still a baby yet. Tomorrow is another day and hopefuly a better one. We'll try the pet store again. So I have my fingers crossed. He'll get better but I have to reign myself in also.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think the climbing through the seat of the car and the nipping
and jumping on you are training issues. i would drive to the pet
store often in order to train. correct the nipping and jumping
when it happens.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think the climbing through the seat of the car and the nipping
and jumping on you are training issues. i would drive to the pet
store often in order to train. correct the nipping and jumping
when it happens.

100% correct. Tried to explain this to my wife. We need to go every day or other day. It needs to be more than once a week sometimes every two weeks. Thats just not frequent enough.

I was working on training him yesterday on sit and wait. I would sit him at the top of the stairs, while I went down to get his food. We went back up the stairs like 10 times. He kept breaking his wait. Then one of those trips down, I had him in a sit and wait and got out of sight and heard my wife tell him to stay which he did. I calmly explained to her that she shouldn't intervene like that because it's confusing for the dog. It's two seperate commands that are closely related. So I released him and down he came and we started over with the wait command. He finally got it. But thats the problem, he already had it down. Yesterday was like the worst day we've had with him since we got him. He just totally lost his manners. He knows the commands, he's just acting up and not listening right now and it's frustrating.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I agree with doggiedad, plus you mentioned it's hot out, so I'm assuming he's maybe not getting as much outside 'running' exercise than normal which is understandable, he could overheat.

With that, he's also 7months old, still full of puppy.

You getting angry isn't helping the situation, since dogs pick up on our emotions.

I think your expecting to much 'solid obedience' on a young dog.

I would also suggest you join an obedience class, put a crate in your vehicle , go on 'outings' more often.

I swear these dogs 'know' where we're going when in the car, it probably got him all excited ..nipping/biting are attention seekers whether it's good or bad it's attention.

Just throwing some ideas out there

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I agree with doggiedad, plus you mentioned it's hot out, so I'm assuming he's maybe not getting as much outside 'running' exercise than normal which is understandable, he could overheat.

With that, he's also 7months old, still full of puppy.

You getting angry isn't helping the situation, since dogs pick up on our emotions.

I think your expecting to much 'solid obedience' on a young dog.

I would also suggest you join an obedience class, put a crate in your vehicle , go on 'outings' more often.

I swear these dogs 'know' where we're going when in the car, it probably got him all excited ..nipping/biting are attention seekers whether it's good or bad it's attention.

Just throwing some ideas out there
These are all great ideas. It is a good idea especially to have your dog either in a crate or tethered to a seat belt for dogs when driving. A sudden stop can throw your dog through the windshield easily. I spent a lot of time at first taking my dog to the vet for treats, no other reason so she puts the vet trips together with a positive outlook. You should drive to the pet store, sit in the lot, treat for being calm, then drive away a few times a week. By the way, 7 months is solid adolescence country - this too will pass with training.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Well, we had a much better day today. He still doesn't want to listen sometimes but he was 80% better. It took us about 10 turnarounds before we got into the pet store, but we made it inside. No climbing between the seats either. I stayed in the backseat with him and it worked out great. I didn't give him a chance to get to excited. He waited on the release command to get out also. Just like he had been before. Felt good.

Now if I could find a magical training wand to get him and the cat to behave.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I can picture a young, healthy dog, that is bubbling over with energy. It is difficult for a young dog to focus on anything when it's wired tight like a guitar string. What ever you've been doing in the past for exercise needs to be dramatically increased. Your little puppy is growing..so is it's stamina.

The most difficult thing to remember when you have any type of training failure (and EVERYONE has training failures) is it most likely is the owner's fault. You really can't blame the puppy. If you want to be angry and disappointed, you need to look at what YOU can do to set your pup up to succeed next time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts