German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods, please move if this isn't the right place.

Does anyone else have a ' one and done ' type of dog when it comes to throwing a ball/toy?

Gunner gets the whole fetch game, but will never bring it back to us or seem to enjoy the game. Not sure if there is something I can do to have him ' like it '?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Lol I just posted a thread about fetch like a minute ago before seeing this. Exactly how mine is

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Zeke never brings the ball back because he wants us to chase him! I do find though that if I have two balls he will bring the first one back and drop it in my vicinity so he can chase the second one. Then I just have to walk a short distance to retrieve the first one, lol.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Zeke never brings the ball back because he wants us to chase him! I do find though that if I have two balls he will bring the first one back and drop it in my vicinity so he can chase the second one. Then I just have to walk a short distance to retrieve the first one, lol.

This is how I taght Lucky to fetch. The problem is getting himn to drop the ballnear me. I have found that he cant see the other ball till he gets with in a 3 ft radius. Sometimes though he's so excited he runs after ball 2 with ball 1 in his mouth. Gotta love him!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
This is how I taght Lucky to fetch. The problem is getting himn to drop the ballnear me. I have found that he cant see the other ball till he gets with in a 3 ft radius. Sometimes though he's so excited he runs after ball 2 with ball 1 in his mouth. Gotta love him!
Haha yes gotta love their "derp" antics sometimes ;) zeke will do that too, and then he'll stare at one and drop the other to pick it up, then stare at the first one trying to figure out how to get both.

To prevent that I dont throw the second one until he drops the first one. Doesnt always work, especially once he gets tired, but it usually does ok

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Throw a party BEFORE you throw..."Ready?...Ready...Ready???" Toss the ball - but not a great distance. The MOMENT your pup grabs the ball - start moving backwards saying "HURRY! HURRY! HURRY!" When your pup starts towards you, move backwards as fast as you can...with out breaking your neck. Jump up and down saying "HURRY! HURRY! HURRY!"

Then, before your dog gets to you, fall on the ground and flop around making a whole bunch of noise .."GOOD DOG! GOOD DOG! GOOD DOG!"

Even if your dog doesn't bring you the ball...all your neighbors will have a good laugh and eventually we'll get to see it on utube.....

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Rotfl. Lilie! I was going to do it too until I got the rolling around on the ground part.

Well honestly, the idea is to make you look super fun. Keeping the dog engaged in the game with YOU. So if I see my dog start to lose interest in me on his return, I will start making racket and move backwards. Normally "Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!" will get their attention and they'll start coming towards me. By ME moving away (still facing the dog) they come towards me.

Sometimes...I'll wait till my dog gets nearly by me and I'll turn my back and I'll take off. This could be a big no-no in the world of fetch - but for me, it keeps my dog focused on the crazy lady.

I also use the chuck-it - so I don't have to reach all the way down to the ground to pick up the ball. I use the chuck part and hook the ball. I think sometimes when we bend over to get the ball our body language engages the dog in a game of chase.

If my dog insists on running around with the ball and not returning it, I'll pull out the dope on a rope. A toy that I've tied to a rope. I'll start slinging the toy around and the dog will either drop the ball and come running - or will bring the ball and try to stuff both in his mouth. But if I bring out dope on a rope - the ball gets put up. My theory is, I'm failing to engage my dog with ME. Therefore I pull out the toy that forces my dog to play with me. I suppose I am the dope at the end of the rope.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have tried his squeeky ball, his planet dog whistle ball, pink/blue plant dog ball, ball on a string, etc. and throwing it down the hall and look like super fun but Gunner just tries to run past me and lie in his kennel or his bed. Sometimes it feels like he is older than all that ' puppy stuff '. lol ( He is 5 yrs old ).

I will keep trying. Hopefully I can find a big fenced in area and use the wooden chuck -it and the whistle ball to get his attention.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
That is a good idea Lilie. I should make myself interesting as opposed to just standing there saying bring. I think she just not that interested in running either. It is contagious, she got the I will not run virus from me.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
probably needs to training to fetch. can you hide something
and send Gunner to retrieve it?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Mods, please move if this isn't the right place.

Does anyone else have a ' one and done ' type of dog when it comes to throwing a ball/toy?

Gunner gets the whole fetch game, but will never bring it back to us or seem to enjoy the game. Not sure if there is something I can do to have him ' like it '?
We are a 4 or 5 and done...LOL..my trainer said some dogs take longer to get their ball drive.
We used to be a none and done, so its getting better.:laugh:

I tried using treats to teach him fetch but then he would ignore the ball altogether. trainer sugested putting treats in the ball by cutting an x in it and throwing it, get the ball and open it for the treat, she said eventually he will bring the ball to you to open and get the treats for him. We just havent tried that yet. Slowly we are getting there by bouncing the ball around in front of him til he gets excited before throwing it. Its not impossible so stay on it. He will get where you want him to be.

oh we also love the chuck it, works for me since I dont have a football arm.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
LOL ..dont you love it when they try to pick up the second ball with the first ball still in their mouth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts