German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Unfortunately this happens too often. This is one of the reasons I carry a firearm off duty. Its a shame that people are forced to defend themselves in this way for other peoples negligence. But it is important to stay safe all the time. You never know when I a lovely day with your dog could turn into a trip to the hospital or worse

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately this happens too often. This is one of the reasons I carry a firearm off duty. Its a shame that people are forced to defend themselves in this way for other peoples negligence. But it is important to stay safe all the time. You never know when I a lovely day with your dog could turn into a trip to the hospital or worse
A little update. 2nd dog was put down, due to gunshot. Owners were away on vacation and dogs got out. Not sure who was supposed to be watching them. What a tragedy for all involved! :(

·
Registered
103 Posts
A little update. 2nd dog was put down, due to gunshot. Owners were away on vacation and dogs got out. Not sure who was supposed to be watching them. What a tragedy for all involved! :(
:( This is in my town. What a shame. Pit bulls are very popular here, and many of my friends have beautiful well-socialized pits. But stories like this always focus far too much on the dogs and too little on the owners - I'm sure there's going to be a flurry of gossip about vicious pit bulls now.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Sad all around.

I'm not so sure I'm so quick to blame the owners. They weren't there, they intrusted their dogs to someone and that person, for whatever reason, didn't keep them contained. If the dogs haven't had any issues with running at large before and the owners otherwise kept them contained and managed (with some dogs thats all you can do), then I personally wouldn't point fingers at the owners just yet. Now, the person suppose to be watching them, maybe.

All it all it lacks much detail. But regardless, its a very sad situation for everyone.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I always like to note humans are clever at diverting attention away from themselves.

The poor dog gets punished for something it had no control over and its human owner escapes the blame.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:( This is in my town. What a shame. Pit bulls are very popular here, and many of my friends have beautiful well-socialized pits. But stories like this always focus far too much on the dogs and too little on the owners - I'm sure there's going to be a flurry of gossip about vicious pit bulls now.
Yeah, our shelters are already full of pitts and very little else. It is just going to make things worse. :(

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well I live in Canada and we are not allowed to carry weapons period this scares the **** out of me since I have 4 kids poor people and I would be charging the owners

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a pitbull in my neighborhood who regularly gets out along with her puppy. I try to catch them and put them in my kennel until the owner gets home if I can because I worry someone is going to shoot them just because that breed has a vicious reputation. Or they might get run over :-\

In the comments of the article someone questioned why the man had his gun on him for a walk, and that maybe he was looking for an excuse to shoot the dogs. Hopefully there isn't any truth to that, but I've heard that people will poison dogs they don't like sometimes.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
I have a pitbull in my neighborhood who regularly gets out along with her puppy. I try to catch them and put them in my kennel until the owner gets home if I can because I worry someone is going to shoot them just because that breed has a vicious reputation. Or they might get run over :-\

In the comments of the article someone questioned why the man had his gun on him for a walk, and that maybe he was looking for an excuse to shoot the dogs. Hopefully there isn't any truth to that, but I've heard that people will poison dogs they don't like sometimes.
The article, while vague, does say "After attempting to free himself and his dog from the attacking animals"
I'm gonna guess the guy and his dog would have some kind of marks or injuries to corroborate his story.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Well given that the flurry of gossip about pit bulls also centers around the fact they are perfectly safe little cuddle bugs who wouldn't even ever harm a fly so therefore you don't *really* need to worry about them getting out or not being trained...all's fair when we can't be realistic about these dogs...I guess.

·
Registered
100 Posts
While not my breed of choice, pits are great dogs if raised right. Same goes for GSDs. Raised wrong or with ignorance and not the proper respect given the breed and their character.
As far as we know they could have filled a dish with food and water vs had someone watching them, either way the owners were not responsible enough with their dogs. Yes, accidents happen but I can only assume more care should have been taken in ensuring they do not get out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts