German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I take Nuhkia to the Vet Friday. We get called in the room and the vet tech goes to take her leash and walk her to the back to get weighed. I over hear the Vet tech asking Nuhkia if she is a fullblood GSD. (The whole time I'm thinking you can't be serious.) The reason why the Vet tech asked her and then asked me when coming back into the room, is she believes she's small for her age. Um ok.

My Vet however believes she will more than likely be on the small side of the breed. She stated that they usually go with a rule of thumb, to double the weight when they hit around 4 months and that will usually give your a good impression on their adult weight.

Well as it is right now, these are the basic measurements I have and the weight.

Abt. 19-20" Long
Abt. 19-20" tall at the shoulders
Weight: 31 lbs

She's roughly 18 wks or 4 months and 2 wks old. I'm assuming she still has 2-3 months of growing left? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ditto stopped growing around 8mo and stayed rounghly 68lb and 26.5 in at the shoulder. She gained 7 pounds when she was 2.5 years old, making her 75 pounds. She was scrawny at 68 and now looks filled out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine was the same weight at that age (about 30 lbs at 18 weeks)

He's a week shy of 6 months now and 43 lbs.

Here are some pictures taken at age 5 month and 1 week.

167516_10150129282295786_541220785_8545749_5696737_n.jpg

168488_10150129284125786_541220785_8545782_4907419_n.jpg

168240_10150129281280786_541220785_8545723_6992277_n.jpg

Lazer1.jpg

·
Registered
512 Posts
Vet Techs are... a varied bunch.
Some are incredibly well educated and informed. Some... not so much.

Most people are used to oversized, overweight GSDs that grow too fast as puppies. They become rather familiar with them because they end up spending plenty of time at the vet when their size takes a toll on their body.

The GSDs that grow nice and slow, and end up under 75 lbs often don't spend much time in the vet's office.

The disparity creates a skewed view in people not familiar with the breed or the breed standard.

I knew I had a keeper in a vet when he told me Danke was just the right weight and size for her age as a puppy.

14 weeks:

Around 20 weeks:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I don't really know. lol I mean I'm with her every day, so to me it looks as though she isn't growing at all. However others have stated they think she's growing like a weed. Growing around 1-2 inches and gaining 8lbs in a month to me isn't growing like a weed.

Your reply SchDDR sounds very logical, however my mind just keeps looking at this pup and thinking, however I have to remember she's only 4.5 months old and a female as well.

I went to an Obedience Training tonight to check it out. There were a few GSD's there. A male, I asked the lady how old he was and she stated 6 months, and he was probably 20lbs heavier and 3-4 inches taller as well as longer than my girl.

I figured it she keeps growing like she is, which to me seems like a slow and steady growth both in stature and weight, by 6 months she should be around 22-23 inches tall and weigh about 40-45 lbs. However I could be wrong, I guess anything is possible.

Oh, and in the past 2 days she has popped out at least 2 molers! So, not only am I worried about her growth I'm now watching her ears like a hawk!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Be glad she is growing at a nice slow and normal pace. I never put too much stock into anything a vet tech tells me, their bosses are the only ones I listen to. My cousin was a vet tech, and always trying to tell us what was what - and then she was fired for stealing medicine, ugh.

My puppy is teething now, too, and incidentally I also found two molars today, lol - anyway, his ears have not flopped, they're still erect and sturdy. Since your girl's ears were already up before she started teething, they'll go back up when she's finished should they flop during.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Texas is a petite girl as well. She currently is 6 months and weighs only 40 lbs. I am trying to bulk her up, but at the same time, she is already enduring her lanky phase.

Vet techs are interesting. *rolls eyes* I took Texas to get microchipped and the man who adminstered her chip came back telling me "You lied on your application! She is not 6 months old. You have a 1 1/2 year old dog; her teeth are of an adult dog. Who ever sold her to you lied to you." I looked at him seriously and told him "Um, no! She IS 6 months old. I got her when she was 3 months old as a small puppy." He just got upset with me and said if I wanted to believe that I could. Some people I tell you.

When Texas went through her teething stage, her ears were fine. Your girl looks good. I doubt her ears will go down.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
The 4 months weight times 2 is exactly correct for my dog. Don't know how true that is with others. Their growth begins to slow dramatically at 7 months but obviously doesn't stop. My dog was 35 pounds at 4 months and now she is 70 at 18 months. Your dog may be slightly on the small side but probably well within the standard.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I thought about another post someone had posted about checking the amount of feeding per bag. And sure enough, I was reading the bag incorrectly.

I wasn't feeding according to what her target weight should be at adult, and there for was feeding about 1 cup less per day then I should be. So, I changed that up and started feeding her the amount stated on the bag per adult target weight. 4 7/8 a day.

I don't know if maybe she's hitting a growth spurt or if it's because I started feeding her almost 1 full cup more, but since her Vet visit last friday she weighd in at 31 lbs, and today I weighd her and she is around 33.4 lbs. So in about 4 days she's had a gain of 2.4 lbs. Now that doesn't seem like much, but compared to the last month she only gained 8.4 lbs in a month. I'm going to keep a watch and if I notice she's starting to look a little plump, I'll back her food down. Oh, and I started breaking her regular food up with about 15% of Orijen LBP to try her out on it. She loves it, but it seems a little rich atm, we'll see how it goes the next few wks. That could also have something to do with it, even though it's only 15% or her daily value.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
A dog can gain 2lb between morning and evening. Or after drinking a lot of water, after a good sized meal, or because of more food volume in the digestive tract.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts