German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Our dog Gandalf is still getting his frozen raw food and doing very well on it , however we are still looking for options. In a few months we will be taking a very long road trip across the country, we would love to bring Gandalf with but the frozen food makes it a burden (we can't afford those expensive freeze dried dog foods with the amount he eats and setting up pick up points on the way for raw is not reliable, been there done that). Also with hurricane season we want to find a kibble that Gandalf can tolerate in case if we lose power. During hurricane Charlie we were out of power for nearly two months,and the roads were too treacherous to drive on because of all the fallen power lines, etc. Basically we are searching for the perfect kibble for this allergic pup for rare occasions mainly and to also supplement his raw diet. Heck if he does well on it we might even rotate it with the raw, that would be great to save us some money so we could set aside a savings account for his medical bills.

The trouble I am having is that he is allergic to legumes, lentils,peas, chickpeas, rice, oats, barley, sweet potatoes, sorghum, wheat, and corn. Proteins he cant tolerate are chicken, pork, and fish. We've gone back and tried a couple of these recently to see if things have changed but he still gets sick eating them. I found one brand that only has white potatoes and duck that we are trying now and they do add taurine, its Natural Balance potato and duck formula. We just started to see if he tolerates it and so far so good but he isn't getting much of it yet. I've searched the internet for similar foods, i'd like to have a couple different proteins to pick from for him. Any ideas? Would love some suggestions!
Thanks

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
My dog who is allergic to chicken can’t tolerate any fowl protein. So no duck or other birds. We finally setttled on white fish. If he could not eat fish, I would look at lamb or bison. When I was looking at food for my older dog, several were recommended with less common protein sources. I will see if I still have the list.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My dog who is allergic to chicken can’t tolerate any fowl protein. So no duck or other birds. We finally setttled on white fish. If he could not eat fish, I would look at lamb or bison. When I was looking at food for my older dog, several were recommended with less common protein sources. I will see if I still have the list.
Thanks for the recommendations. G does do well on other fowl proteins, hes had duck before and did good on it. I'm hopeful this natural balance kibble will work... but wish I had more options in case if they ever decide to discontinue this flavor :frown2: . The proteins don't really seem to be the big issue... rather all the fillers like legumes, rice, wheat, etc... all kibble seems to throw these things in there. Sweet potatoes seem to be the hot thing right now as far as LID goes and they give him instant diarrhea. I can't find any other kibble that uses ONLY white potatoes..

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations. G does do well on other fowl proteins, hes had duck before and did good on it. I'm hopeful this natural balance kibble will work... but wish I had more options in case if they ever decide to discontinue this flavor :frown2: . The proteins don't really seem to be the big issue... rather all the fillers like legumes, rice, wheat, etc... all kibble seems to throw these things in there. Sweet potatoes seem to be the hot thing right now as far as LID goes and they give him instant diarrhea. I can't find any other kibble that uses ONLY white potatoes..
I don't know if you can get it but look up First Mate. It's a small Canadian company, awesome food and they are really helpful.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if you can get it but look up First Mate. It's a small Canadian company, awesome food and they are really helpful.
Thanks Sabis! Looks like they carry it on Chewy which is awesome! The only flavor they have that isn't chicken or fish is their lamb.. looks like it does have chicken fat in it though, which is disappointing. We might give it a shot anyways though and just see how he does. I have never heard of a Burbank or Norkotah potato LOL! Looks really good besides that chicken.

New Ingredients: Lamb Meal, Burbank Potato, Norkotah Potato, Chicken Fat* (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato Pomace, Potassium Chloride, Dl-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Calcium Propionate (Preservative), Taurine, Blueberries, Raspberries, Cranberries, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Iodine, Cobalt Carbonate, Selenium Yeast), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, D-Pantothenic Acid, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Yeast Extract (a Source of Prebiotics) Glucosamine Hydrochloride.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know the vets' recommendations are often frowned upon but have you asked your vet for ideas?
Our vet recommended Science Diet Hills Z/D which his stomach took as a joke and spewed out for about a month. At that point we put him on raw, and our vet said whatever you're doing keep doing it. Great except for we need a back up in these situations and would love to put a little money aside for serious vet bills. The ER vet recommended royal canin Z/D , same ol same ol.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I fed THK when we were on the road for a month last year.
We can't afford that, one of their cheapest boxes at $90 for the turkey only would last him 7 days (and im unsure if he can have turkey), that would be $386 a month. I guess it would be worth trying to see if he can tolerate, but thats just on par with his raw food prices. The duck version only would last him 3 days so that's $600 per month. I really don't like the freeze dried stuff, its way over priced. I'm looking mostly for a cheaper option. Looks like they also have sweet potato in them too :(. Would love to hear some more kibble recommendations.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Thanks Sabis! Looks like they carry it on Chewy which is awesome! The only flavor they have that isn't chicken or fish is their lamb.. looks like it does have chicken fat in it though, which is disappointing. We might give it a shot anyways though and just see how he does. I have never heard of a Burbank or Norkotah potato LOL! Looks really good besides that chicken.

New Ingredients: Lamb Meal, Burbank Potato, Norkotah Potato, Chicken Fat* (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato Pomace, Potassium Chloride, Dl-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Calcium Propionate (Preservative), Taurine, Blueberries, Raspberries, Cranberries, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Iodine, Cobalt Carbonate, Selenium Yeast), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, D-Pantothenic Acid, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Yeast Extract (a Source of Prebiotics) Glucosamine Hydrochloride.
Call them and speak to them, I recall having a conversation with them about proteins. They are very knowledgeable and very helpful. Shadow eats the lamb and has done amazing on it. It seems to me that someone mentioned that they do something to the proteins so it might be worth a shot.
Do be aware though that one of the things about this food that seems widespread is that over feeding WILL cause diarrhea. Multiple owners have discovered this. The feeding instructions seem bang on though. Shadow only eats 2 cups a day now, she was up to 3 when she was younger but if I increase her food now she leaves it so clearly she is getting enough to eat.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Have you thought about making home cooked dog food and dehydrating it? I don't know how that will work because I haven't done it, but it's a possibility.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Have you thought about making home cooked dog food and dehydrating it? I don't know how that will work because I haven't done it, but it's a possibility.
Yes, for his allergies it would come out to be $$$/ month or so everyone on this forum has told me who home cooks (meat, supplements, etc.) plus the worry of if I'm creating a balanced meal or not. Not worth it, his raw is cheaper. I'm really looking for kibble options so that all the vitamins, etc. are in proper balance and I won't mess with his health too much :smile2:

--------> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/745833-help-raw-diet-balanced.html

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I was checking out First Mate and there is a lamb and oatmeal formula. Free Range Lamb & Oats. As far as the chicken fat, their website says "The chicken fat used in FirstMate Pet Foods is processed free of protein, eliminating the risk of allergies derived from chicken."

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I was checking out First Mate and there is a lamb and oatmeal formula. Free Range Lamb & Oats. As far as the chicken fat, there website says "The chicken fat used in FirstMate Pet Foods is processed free of protein, eliminating the risk of allergies derived from chicken."
Definetly no oats sorry if I forgot to add that :frown2: ... He is a pain in the butt to find food for.
Good to know about the chicken fat though!!! We will be giving the FirstMate Lamb & Potato a try soon :grin2:

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I *totally* understand this issue. I travel x-country twice a year with my allergy dog, we live in hurricane alley. Worse, his specialty vet hospital won't take raw OR freeze-dried when he's hospitalized. What a mess.

I can't really help with kibble, but I have a few other ideas for you:

1. Frozen: to travel with it, I preportion into ziplock bags and deep freeze--making my own patties basically. I have a small cooler loaded with icepacks saved from ordering vet meds--they last a long time. We stay at a La Quinta with a small fridge in the room, and I turn it all the way to max it out so that it will freeze. Most of my meat is still frozen when we get there after driving 8 hours, except the bag on top...and that's dinner. The morning portion goes on the door of the mini-fridge, which isn't as cold as the main part. So everything but that bag on the door should stay frozen. We travel with enough to get to the destination, then we buy fresh when we get there.

2. Dried jerky food: Only Natural Pet's Max Meat (Beef) is more affordable than ZiwiPeak. It's dense. This is good "hurricane kit food." It's very expensive to feed always, but in a pinch, it totally works. It's beef and pumpkin. NEVER pay full price for it -- ONP runs lots of coupon codes, and I usually buy it for 20-25% off (never less than 15% off). I also get some money back from Ebates (sometimes another 10% if I time it right), and ONP gives a 5% quarterly rebate too.

https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-Grain-Free-MaxMeat-Air-Dried-Dog-Food/999276.aspx

3. Cut the cost of THK: I buy THK from Only Natural Pet with coupon codes too. Remember, at least 15%, sometimes 25% off retail!

4. Canned: as an emergency food, it works, and it has a long shelf life. There are several types of canned that are 95% or more of a single protein. My local store sometimes gets specials where they can do $2/can on different brands of limited-ingredient canned food, if I buy by the case. This is another "hurricane food" option for dogs that can't eat kibble. Once in a while Amazon has similar pricing by the case. That's what I had to use when my dog was hospitalized, when the clinic rejected my dehydrated and freeze dried foods because the meat has not been cooked. It was okay for a few days--not what I want to feed always, but when the choice is kibble or canned, canned it is!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I *totally* understand this issue. I travel x-country twice a year with my allergy dog, we live in hurricane alley. Worse, his specialty vet hospital won't take raw OR freeze-dried when he's hospitalized. What a mess.

I can't really help with kibble, but I have a few other ideas for you:

1. Frozen: to travel with it, I preportion into ziplock bags and deep freeze--making my own patties basically. I have a small cooler loaded with icepacks saved from ordering vet meds--they last a long time. We stay at a La Quinta with a small fridge in the room, and I turn it all the way to max it out so that it will freeze. Most of my meat is still frozen when we get there after driving 8 hours, except the bag on top...and that's dinner. The morning portion goes on the door of the mini-fridge, which isn't as cold as the main part. So everything but that bag on the door should stay frozen. We travel with enough to get to the destination, then we buy fresh when we get there.

2. Dried jerky food: Only Natural Pet's Max Meat (Beef) is more affordable than ZiwiPeak. It's dense. This is good "hurricane kit food." It's very expensive to feed always, but in a pinch, it totally works. It's beef and pumpkin. NEVER pay full price for it -- ONP runs lots of coupon codes, and I usually buy it for 20-25% off (never less than 15% off). I also get some money back from Ebates (sometimes another 10% if I time it right), and ONP gives a 5% quarterly rebate too.

https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-Grain-Free-MaxMeat-Air-Dried-Dog-Food/999276.aspx

3. Cut the cost of THK: I buy THK from Only Natural Pet with coupon codes too. Remember, at least 15%, sometimes 25% off retail!

4. Canned: as an emergency food, it works, and it has a long shelf life. There are several types of canned that are 95% or more of a single protein. My local store sometimes gets specials where they can do $2/can on different brands of limited-ingredient canned food, if I buy by the case. This is another "hurricane food" option for dogs that can't eat kibble. Once in a while Amazon has similar pricing by the case. That's what I had to use when my dog was hospitalized, when the clinic rejected my dehydrated and freeze dried foods because the meat has not been cooked. It was okay for a few days--not what I want to feed always, but when the choice is kibble or canned, canned it is!
It's good to hear from someone with a similar situation Magwart! I hadn't even thought of what would happen if he got hospitalized... I know we have avoided boarding because A.) he makes vacations funner, and B.) the boarding places will not feed raw food either. We are staying at my husbands grandfathers old lonely cabin on top of a mountain so i'm not sure what kind of freezer space they will have , if they have one at all. I'm really hoping they will just in case lol. Good to know about the THK coupons. We will have to get some of the turkey when it goes on sale and see how he does with it. We should have been testing these things out prior to hurricane season... we're also still looking into getting a generator for his freezer but it's really expensive too.
Thank you all again for your wonderful suggestions, you guys always pull through for us 0:) !

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Is it possible for you to can his own raw food? It won't be raw of course but you know what's in it. Bones need to be ground up since they will be cooked. In case of emergencies it is not that crucial if the food doesn't contain everything he needs IMO. Unless it goes on for months.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts