German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Confession: I used to be a 'cat' person. I've always had a cat and they suit my personality really well. My wife on the other hand is a dog person and she used to have a boxer. Well, a while ago (8 years I guess) we got a boxer puppy and a few years later we rescued another boxer. Somewhere along the way I changed because I'm no longer just a 'cat' person. I love my two boxers, they're nuts and always a lot of fun to be around.
Anyway, earlier this year I started thinking about getting a German Shepherd. Who wouldn't want a dozen in their house? Well, our brilliant idea to put off getting a GSD was to start fostering for the Flower Mound Humane Society. It should be noted that I often have brilliant (ie bad) ideas. Another thread around here has pictures of our previous fosters.

My wife is a teacher and pretty well connected in our community so we've had decent success getting our fosters adopted pretty quickly. Which brings us to our latest guest:

Finley is a cheweney (however it's spelled) from the same litter we previous fostered. Her story WORDS me off to no end. She has been adopted twice and returned twice. The first group of window lickers returned her because their kids were not helping take care of her. Are you WOrDS kidding me? Whose kids actually help? Anyway....The previous family says it was because she kept making messes in her kennel. Well, mom brought her to our house and in talking to her we could tell that wasn't the issue. Mom didn't want to have a dog.
This fostering stuff really kills me. I've been looking at the DFW GSD rescue and have offered to foster for them as well. Right now they have a GSD that was pulled out of the sewer where three other dogs had drowned before the workers could get to them. I don't even know what to say about her story.

Anyway - happy Wednesday. I'm going to go eat dinner.

Oh - GSDs aren't the only landsharks apparently. This little nibblers is in the biting stage. I keep telling her no and giving her a toy instead. Those little teeth have an edge!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
GSD is gonna be your foster failure. They really worm their way into your heart. I've been applying to foster here and there but the agencies get pretty hung up on my vet/vaccination habits. I'm not the type to scurry off to the vet at every little sniffle. I feed an amazing diet and keep my dogs healthy. Hurt dog, sure I'm at the vet in a blink. Vaccination...uhm...er....what? Rabies sure, others....not so much. Anyway, the foster places aren't so cool with that so it looks like I won't be doing the foster thing.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Yeah, the vaccination thing will be a dealbreaker for sure, and it should be.

If you've read any of the big rescue threads you'll know that a lot of these shelter dogs (as many as all of them, depending on where you are) have been exposed to some really nasty and lethal pathogens. Distemper, in particular, puts a cold fear in my heart. It's highly contagious, there's not much of a treatment for it, and even dogs who survive often sustain permanent brain damage.

It's not a hypothetical risk, and the last thing any good rescue wants is for your personal dogs to get sick or die as a result of your attempt to do a good deed. Dogs who haven't been vaccinated against at least parvo and distemper will always be a dealbreaker for a good rescue. Personally, I'd run from any rescue that didn't make it a non-negotiable condition.

OP: Good on you for fostering! Finley is ADORABLE. You ought to be able to get her a good, real home in no time. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts