German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I miss you guys so much. I used to be a member when I had gsd's, for many years, since my first. Well, now I have a (relatively) little island dog, so I don't fit in. But I miss you. FB groups, well, conversations are rare and quickly buried, and, I put a timer on it, to stop myself from mindless scrolling or getting into fruitless arguments. I really miss my dedicated dog peeps. This is still the best group I can think of, even for a lot of general questions.
I now run a local dog training meet-up, free. Run is a bit of an overstatement. I still only have the original core members coming out being me, myself, and the other guy (and an occasional drop in). Does no one like to train dogs just for fun? I still only have one other nerdy member who would train obedience for a good half hour if her dog wasn't getting on in years, so mostly I go for walks with people, which is nice, but I really feel like almost the only person in the universe who wants to train just for fun.

And this is the sort of thing I love to do: Canine Parkour
Any how, maybe later I'll pick your brains about my group, growing it, or helpful links to share, that sort of thing. Pics, the b&w is mine, Sonic, the gsd is a member's young lad, we meet up a lot with.

·
Super Moderator
6,010 Posts
Welcome back!I remember you and Sonic.I like to do those types of activities with my dogs too.We go to school playgrounds and goof around on the climbing equipment.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, who, I wonder. I've been reading some posts, wow, the talent here is stellar, gold star advice getting dished out, so much nicer than what I see on facebook, and so many familiar names.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm so glad your back! (even though I've never met you) And I'm sooooooo glad you understand that most of Facebook is just worthless! My parents just completely got off it because the people on were just crazy. Of course, most of them. Not all, any of you Facebook fans.

Watched the YouTube. I'ts really cool. I don't think I'd have the time to do that kind of stuff, but watching others do it is so fun!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm so glad your back! (even though I've never met you) And I'm sooooooo glad you understand that most of Facebook is just worthless! My parents just completely got off it because the people on were just crazy. Of course, most of them. Not all, any of you Facebook fans.

Watched the YouTube. I'ts really cool. I don't think I'd have the time to do that kind of stuff, but watching others do it is so fun!
This is a special place, this forum. Very good people armed with keyboards who take the time to give full bodied help.
Facebook seems designed to be toxic, much as people try to buck against it. This is better.
Ha, thanks for watching my silliness, training is fun fun fun. Of course you will find time, 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there. Even a simple sit, down, stand sequence is fun if you train right.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This is a special place, this forum. Very good people armed with keyboards who take the time to give full bodied help.
Facebook seems designed to be toxic, much as people try to buck against it. This is better.
Ha, thanks for watching my silliness, training is fun fun fun. Of course you will find time, 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there. Even a simple sit, down, stand sequence is fun if you train right.
"Armed with keyboards" Love it!!! :D

·
Registered
706 Posts
I got rid of Facebook years ago and haven’t looked back! Nothing good comes from it. Always drama and just a bunch of nosey acquaintances. Anywho, welcome! There’s a ton of information on here, even if you just browse the archives.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Canine parkour can be great fun. I still train my dogs for the fun of it. Especially if I put on some fun upbeat music. It puts some zip in our steps.
Bravo, on going out and working it in the rain. :)

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Yeah the social media can be time consuming also and a social media diet is easy to follow once your off of it for a bit. My male likes challenges and be pushes me to practice his training- it’s good to practice for humans and dogs! Off season beaches are great if dogs are not allowed on certain beaches most are allowed off season and is usually quiet during week. Fresh snowed people parks are another free romping and exploring experience with not many around. Two of our favorite ways to run full speed for hours and completely free.

·
Super Moderator
32,127 Posts
Welcome back, I remember you very well! Just because you don't have a GSD anymore that doesn't mean you can't remain an active member of the board. :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Canine parkour can be great fun. I still train my dogs for the fun of it. Especially if I put on some fun upbeat music. It puts some zip in our steps.
Bravo, on going out and working it in the rain. :)
Music is fun, yes, I do that sometimes too. Dog dancing, fun.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome back, I remember you very well! Just because you don't have a GSD anymore that doesn't mean you can't remain an active member of the board. :)
I think I remember all of you. Such a cohesive group, here. I think I just felt weird not having a gsd anymore, I feel like an outsider on any dog group for one reason or another. FF groups, well, there's that prong/ecollar thing that gets in the way (although I love so many ff concepts & methods I hate being forced to lie by omission). Balanced groups on fb seem harsh, and/or focussed on dealing with harsh dogs, I just wanna have fun. This group seems to train my way, balanced in the direction I like. So here, I have the wrong dog, ah well, it's good to be back.
For the record, FB has some good stuff. Animal Cognition is a group where I get to nerd out on animal behaviour (including dogs), met some fine people, and I mostly run my local meet-up through FB although I've moved much of it to a blog so I'm not wholly dependant on FB & can serve folks who are not on FB.
I've been introduced to philosophy combined with understanding animal behaviour on fb, fascinating, that, so it's not all bad, for sure.
Maybe I'll share some tidbits I've found along the way.
Also will be looking for help to shape up some of my meet-up resource pages.
And if anyone's willing to put up with me, showing off not a gsd firecracker doing his fun stuff.
Thanks You ALL for a the re; re; re; welcome.

·
Super Moderator
6,010 Posts
Geez,don't feel like an outsider!Many members here have other breeds and gsd mixes.I've got two mixes myself.Dog behavior and how they communicate with each other and with us is endlessly fascinating.My feeling is most of the problems people experience with their dogs could be avoided if communication skills improved.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think I remember all of you. Such a cohesive group, here. I think I just felt weird not having a gsd anymore, I feel like an outsider on any dog group for one reason or another. FF groups, well, there's that prong/ecollar thing that gets in the way (although I love so many ff concepts & methods I hate being forced to lie by omission). Balanced groups on fb seem harsh, and/or focussed on dealing with harsh dogs, I just wanna have fun. This group seems to train my way, balanced in the direction I like. So here, I have the wrong dog, ah well, it's good to be back.
For the record, FB has some good stuff. Animal Cognition is a group where I get to nerd out on animal behaviour (including dogs), met some fine people, and I mostly run my local meet-up through FB although I've moved much of it to a blog so I'm not wholly dependant on FB & can serve folks who are not on FB.
I've been introduced to philosophy combined with understanding animal behaviour on fb, fascinating, that, so it's not all bad, for sure.
Maybe I'll share some tidbits I've found along the way.
Also will be looking for help to shape up some of my meet-up resource pages.
And if anyone's willing to put up with me, showing off not a gsd firecracker doing his fun stuff.
Thanks You ALL for a the re; re; re; welcome.
Awww, come on. We don't care that you don't have a dog any more! There are bunches of people on the forum who don't actually have GSDs. Besides, were here to share knowledge and have fun, not to compare who does and who doesn't have a dog. Welcome back!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm glad you're re; re; re; resuming your time with us on the forum! :D
Nope, funny....I love silly. This is in chitchat, all good.
And thanks for all the welcome.
On breed notes, it's interesting to have a non-gsd dog, even as a mix, he's an example of breed matters, the gsd's in my life (some in my meet-up), breed matters, it really does, so I can really understand having a forum devoted to gsd's.
That said, much of what I learned here, and is still being shared here, is completely relevant across the board. Good training is flexible and thoughtful, so the advice can cover a broad spectrum.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oooh, and I like 'country' flags beside names. Sometimes what is suitable (or acceptable) in one country is not in another. I recall, on a different board, someone receiving advice to avoid off lead dogs but always walk her dog outdoors (small indoor dog that was reactive). This person lived in a country where street dogs are the norm, and very few folks seemed able to recognized that fact which must have been frustrating.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ohh oh oh, and anyone living near North East Toronto, maybe you want to join one of my meet-ups? GSD's very welcome.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts